FORD T18 or NP435 Hunting - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

FORD T18 or NP435 Hunting

Hello all. From the research I've conducted it seems that the Borg-Warner T18 and New Process 435 transmissions both have been used in Ford trucks. My question is what make/model of Ford truck would I most likely find an NP 435 vs. a T18 tranny? Any ideas? Just trying to simplify my search at local junk yards. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 10:47 PM
rojo5

Re: FORD T18 or NP435 Hunting

The Novak or Advanced Adapters sites have all the info that you need to be able to ID a tranny along with what they were in by make and year.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice but from what I've gathered from Novak both tranny's were used in Ford trucks during time periods that overlapped. I was wondering if anyone specifically knew which tranny might be found in a certain model of Ford truck versus the other. There must be some reason Ford used two different 4spd heavy duty transmissions in the same time frame. Maybe this question would be better suited on the Ford forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 10:20 AM

its a crap shoot from my understanding, just learn to ID them visually, then look at what your buying.

maybe someone on teh FORD forum could give you certain models, or specifics to narrow it down.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 09:24 PM

if ya find a ford in a junkyard with a 4spd than check the first gear if it goes farther up in travel than the third gear than you have one of the aformentioned trannys the t18 will probably have a cast iron shift tower while the np435 will have an aluminum shift tower good luck
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 02:46 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Location: Selma,CA in the middle of the vineyards, Central California

Isn't reverse located over and up on a T-18 and over and down on a np435?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 03:22 PM

My NP 435 is out of an 86 Ford F150 they were also used in the F 250 vehicles as well. the top is Aluminum reverse is over to the right and down,there is a longer throw going into 1St gear. First and reverse are non synchronized.I have read about a fifth gear option ,by replacing the 3-4 synchro.with a gear but never checked into it any further.
I understand the aluminum bearing cap for the countershaft is difficult to find so be careful if you go to replace that bearing ...I cut mine out .all the bearings were obtained from a bearing supply place.the Thrust bearings were the most difficult to locate.
Ford didn't build any of those transmissions they sourced them out and used what was avalible /cheaper at the time.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 06:33 PM

reverse on a T18 is over and up on some, and over and down on others, that isnt a reliable way to tell whether its a Np 435 or T18.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 09:56 PM

Those trannys are *super* easy to find. Just hunt up 1970-1990 Ford pickups. They came in nearly every pickup that Ford made during that time period. Look for cast-iron manual floor-shift transmissions. The NP-435 says NP-435 on the inspection plate on the side.

Best regards

John
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I'm just gonna have to get out there and search although from what I've read it doesn't sound too hard to locate one of these trans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode