what color to paint my CJ-5 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

what color to paint my CJ-5

my cj is ugly primer over blue. i figure, to make it look slightly better, ill paint it. most likely a kustom KRYLON paintjob, but hey.... anyway, i think a flat black or green or camo or something. any imput from yall on this? i will take requests. and does anyone happen to have pics of their jeeps with flat black or green or some easy- to spray color? thanks for your time, Sparky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 06:00 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: what color to paint my CJ-5

I repainted my Jeep every two years using first some off-brand rattle can, then the high-dollar advance auto stuff anf found that by the third painting that Krylon is best.

My CJ5 started out dark blue with light blue highlights to white with a metallic blue stripe under the doors and black accents to a red and black Jeep.

I liked the white the best. It looks good and hides impefections well. I liked white.

If you do this, be mindful of the drying and the curing times. I wasn't and had spiderwebbing that led to subpaint rust.

fritz
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 06:12 PM

Go with the camo rattlecan--hides dings, dents, rust and dirt quite well. That was my original idea before I found the Car Quest brand Tractor and Farm Implement Rust Prevenitive Enamel in gallon cans for $25. Enough to paint the jeep twice! It can be brushed, rolled, or thinned with a bit of Naptha sprayed! (that's how I did it--went on easy) Only downside is 3-4 days before you want to take it on the road and 30-60 before you want to wax it. Up side is easy touch up--you can use a brush and touch up minor nicks. I painted mine Ford Blue (the original color was some sort of powder blue) with Gloss white for the hardtop (that gets done this coming week). Still, if you go 5-ball (krylon) I like the camo idea....if you live where there is some snow you can throw some white in too--look on the net for pics of the Alaska National Guard and have a look at the M113s.......Hmmm.....one I've ALWAYS wanted to do on a jeep--CJ5 to be specific--is Zebra stripes in white and black. I know, super retro, but I like the look. To do right though would be a LOT of work!

Let us know what you do, and post pics if you can!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 09:31 PM
BMB
Veteran

Hmm, how about something in Cheetah grrr?

BMB
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 11:11 PM
Old Hand

Paint it Red ALL METAL CANS CARRING GAS SHOULD BE RED Thats what a ex coworker used to tell me why I painted mine red
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 04:17 AM
funjoh

I am just finishing my CJ7. Used Rustoleum Smoke Gray and it is looking pretty good (great imrovement). Not sure how it will hold up being that spray cans do not have hardener like auto paint. However, it will sure be easy to recoat a panel as time goes on.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 11:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd say go with the camo, it's hard to mess up the paint job and easy to touch up.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 01:02 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Personally I would avoid camo. I agree that it is easy to touch up, but looks kinda tacky on a non-military vehicle. And if for any reason you ever needed to sell it, heaven forbid, a camo paint job will detract a lot of buyers. I'd go with something plain. I really like my white with the black soft top. I'm thinking of painting it Blue and Yellow though. Scan a photo of your Jeep into Photoshop and play around with different colors. Get a feel of how it may look before you do it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 08:55 PM

I just recently finished a rattle can job on my brothers cj7. his was black to begin with, so we kept it that way so the dings and cracking paint won't be different colors.
btw/ i did this once before with my 66MGB. It was a puke brown color and it looked like...well; crap. my buddy an i went over it with primer twice then went to work with a color green that looked kinda like piss. we never tested the cans in an inconspicious area. wrong color!!oops.[img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] we also did this in the street. DUH all the road grime from passing cars, tree fallings, leaves, sap, bird shiit, you name it...stuck in the paint. how aweful....man how embarrasing.. ...so......

I used a clear primer over the very lightly sanded body...i hate sanding.. i waited 10 minutes then applied 3 coats of glossy black. i went slow and took my time to keep runs to a minimum. i did this in a portable canopy tent. i enclosed the tent and let the truck sit for a few days.(6). she dried nicely, and she looks pretty damn good too. 6 cans, and about 3 hours. i let the paint sit about 20-30 min between coats. Have fun. its nice to do something like this and enjoy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode