Any YJ steering box problems?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Any YJ steering box problems??

Hello folks,
I'm a Toyota guy, so I don't know much about Jeeps, but my wife's '95 YJ seems to wander on the road, it feels like there is slack in the steering almost. I keep the front end well greased, and when on a jack, there is no play underneath...like tie rods, etc. Also, the tires are fairly new, and the pressures are fine. I guess what I'm wondering is, has anybody had problems with the steering in these rigs before? Its not a big deal, just curious. Thanks.
Rembrant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 06:48 PM

Re: Any YJ steering box problems??

one thing to check is that the steering stabilizer may be shot. not that tuff to replace it.

or......

how much slop in the steering when the jeep isnt running, but the steering is unlocked?...more than 3 inches? then lets get rid of the slop...

pull the frame cover, and on top of the steering box, you'll see an allen screw with a jam-nut. pick the right allen wrench, and hold the screw in place while you break the jam-nut loose. slowly tighten the allen screw while your wife or another unwilling volunteer works the steering wheel back and forth until he feels about 3 inches max of slop. dont run the screw in tooo deep, you'll dent and score the shaft- thats a bad thing. lightly tighten the jam-nut, start the jeep, go lock to lock, and then back to center. shut off the jeep, and check for slop again. still 3 inches or less of slop?, tighten the jam-nut.

replace frame cover
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 07:15 PM

Re: Any YJ steering box problems??

check the steering shaft. when the shaft joints get worn, the wander can be annoying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode