O/T - dirt bikes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 02:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

O/T - dirt bikes

I never had any power toys growing up (yeah yeah, boo hoo), and the CJ was my first. So while I'm still young and stoopid, I'm thinking of getting a dirt bike. I've been learning how to ride on a friend's '78 Honda 250 off-road bike. I found a '00 Yamaha YZ125 for $2,900 that I might buy.

Anything I'm missing before doing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 02:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: O/T - dirt bikes

Wear a helmet!! I have had a few dirt bikes. Mostly Honda 4-strokes. The last one I had was an XR400. That bike was awesome. The four strokes are a little more reliable and less maintenance intensive. But you need almost double the displacement to match the feel of a 2-stroke, and then it still isn't the same. Make sure the top end is in good shape before you plunk down $3000.

Later,
Tom
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 03:10 PM
Can't Get Enough

Wear a helmet and get good protective equipment, all of it. You will be glad the very first wreck you have, and believe me, you will have lots if you ride much. Second, not to argue with TOM85CJ7, but don't be afraid of the new 4 strokes. I have an older XR600, and it will get blown away by any of the new 250 four strokes. In fact, I ran into a bunch of bikers on my last jeep outing, and they couldn't say enough good things about the new 4stroke power plants. And yes, they are substantially less maintenance intensive than a two stroke.

Enjoy!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 03:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I was actually speaking in favor of the 4-strokes. My XR400 was almost equal to a CR250. The power is a little smoother on the 400, but it comes in faster on the 250.

Later,
Tom
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 04:17 PM
MellowYellowCJ7

Iím going to disagree.
I used to ride/race a 1996 yz250.
If you leave a two stroke mostly stock they are not much more maintenance then a 4 stroke. You will learn to read the spark plug and play with mixtures a little, but the top end rebuilds that all dirt bike motors require are very easy once youíve done a couple.

The type of bike you ride depends on you height, weigh, and riding terrain.

A 125 is a bit peaky, especially if it has a top-end biased pipe. That means riding on the pegs, leaning forward, elbows high, lots of revs. Thatís not the easiest for a beginner.

If you are tall and light guy and the bike is pretty stock this will be a fun bike. If you are over 180lbs you might want to start on a 250 2-stroke.

If you are an average guy, then I think youíd be happier on an average bike. No offense to anyone, but you might want to learn on an XR 250, then move on when you are ready.

Do a lot of shopping around. Iím not current on $$ of bikes, but I know that there is huge price hit in the first 3 years.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 08:28 PM

I had a 91 YZ125 for a few years not to long ago, and that bike was great, I never should have sold it. I suggest shopping around unless your set on getting an almost new bike....If you go back about 5 years or so the price drops down quite a bit. Dirt bikes are alot of fun, but be careful and ALWAYS wear a helmet, I guarantee no matter how carefull you are you WILL Dump the bike on numerous occasions, but if you're wearing the proper gear, then crashing is half the fun! =)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 09:59 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Are you insane?

I've been riding since I was 10, bought my first bike with my paper route money, and have owned one ever since. I LOVE 2 strokes, in fact, my current bike is a Suzuki GT 750, which is a 3 cylinder, liquid-cooled, 2 stroke. It rips when you hit the power band, and can be a bit unnerving on anything but hard pavement. I almost lost it last Friday when the engine seized at 80 mph on the highway, one of the carbs leaned out too much (I think). It cooled down in about 30 seconds and refired OK, but it's in the shop being checked out.

Growing up I had mostly stripped down on-off bikes, which were all 2 strokes. They took no more to tune/adjust than the wife's TJ, and they were very simple to repair/fix if needed. A YZ will not be that great in any woods, they are primarily a full throttle/no throttle bike designed for racing. I'd suggest an on-off type (so you can get to the trails legally) or an enduro, which are made for driving through the woods.

BTW, that YZ has the ability to lift the front tire at any time, the power is unreal, and the power to weight ratio is also awesome. I'd suggest starting out on something a little more tame.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 06:05 AM
Can't Get Enough

I've been riding dirt bikes for 31 years (yikes). I currently have a CR250. The YZ will be OK to learn on. You just have to respect it. It will not be the best bike to trailride in the woods with, but it's great on logging roads or tracks. The new 4 strokes are getting better all the time with Yamaha's new 4 stroke motocross bike.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 01:02 PM
Can't Get Enough

I'm with RickB, I presently have a 1991 CR-250 and it is plenty for my weekend warrior riding. I was able to pick it up about 4 years ago for about $1300. I know I got an awesome deal. If you wait long enough you will find the right bike at the right price. Don't get a bike that "Billy Bob" says to get, play touchy-feely and ask lots of questions.
One big concern though, how long have you been riding? That may dictate a 2 or 4 stroke choice.
WEAR A HELMET...
Funny though, I won't wear a helmet riding my Harley, but my CR is a different story..
Not too bright...
Ricky...seeya...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 03:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I didn't get it. I'm not going to be racing or anything, so I don't need an all throttle/no throttle bike. A light, nimble 4-stroke will suit me just fine. Not to mention, I'd like a bike that I can take down the road the 1/2 mile to the field/lake by my house. Legally. A $12 tag is all I'd need if I got an off-road bike vs. a motocross.

Yes, I'd wear a helmet, and frankly every other pad they make. Hell, I'd wear a cup. I've never ridden (I know, it's pitiful) but I generally pick things up quickly so I'm not worried about it. I had upshifting, downshifting, braking, and those "cut a rut sharp 180* turn" things (where you lean to the side in first gear, put your foot down, turn and give it gas) down by my third time out on my neighbor's bike. Not to comfortable with turning yet, though. I'll work on it this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode