No running lights, "short in wiring" - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Pog

No running lights, \"short in wiring\"

Okay I know there is a short in the wiring from the switch to the tub wiring but I cannot figure out why. I have swapped in a newer dash and all the wiring with it. From a 97. Could it be the light switch?? It blows the fuse when I pull the switch to turn on the lights. Or could maybe some one tell me which wire it is for the running lights and I will just run a new wire.Oh yea and there is no instrament lights. The rest is fine signals fourways and stops all good. thanks a bunch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 03:48 PM

Re: No running lights, \"short in wiring\"

First, you need to get a couple wiring schematics. One for the original and one for the donor. Then, buy an auto ranging multimeter and read the instructions. They're actually pretty simple to use. I bought mine at Radio Shack for $20. It's about the size of a credit card and works great. Next, it's time to start checking for shorts.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Pog

okay I guess I didn't explain my self enough. I know it is a short in the wire coming from the switch. cause the power is fine to the switch multi meter and test light said so. And now when I pull the wire connector off the switch I have three grounds I am guessing(with test light and 12v power hooked to it three of the wires make it light hence the grounding) now I guess I need to go and buy a manual for the newer harness cause I have no idea or anyone else here knows which one is not supposed to be a ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 07:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If there is a aftermarket alarm system try unplugging the brain and see if that solves the issue.

There is also a nifty little circuit tester available at most part store that will pinpoint the problem. It uses a meter and a unit that alligator clips to your origin of the harnees and then you pass a meter over the harness. When the needle moves from the right to the center you have located the short.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode