Bent rim question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 02:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bent rim question

Hey all,

My buddy who wrecked his 99 Tj has a question about this. I figured I would post it.

He wrecked his 99 and we picked up a 97 to build back up. However, a few of the rims were bent around the bead.

He wants to fix it as a spare rim. Can he heat it up with a acetlyne torch to help with bending it back? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 02:19 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Bent rim question

I would have concerns about weakening the wheel and/or the steel becoming brittle. There are too many used wheels available to take a chance.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 03:05 PM
Can't Get Enough

If they are aluminum or magnesium, throw them our, or better yet, recycle them. If they are steel, you can beat them straight with a BFH. I know, I have seen it done many a time. This works only if the lip area is bent. If the wheel is bent in the flange area, or if the dent is big enough to possibly have caused damage to the flange area, through the wheel away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 03:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dont even try to bend it back yourself. If it aluminum, your gonna make the metal brittle and it might break in the future, and if its steel you'll never get it back the way it was unless your a damn good black smith.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 06:06 PM
Can't Get Enough

The bead on a tubeless tire really doesn't need much to seal but it does need something. If the wheel is steel and just bent far enough to cause a leak a couple of well placed whacks with a sledge will get it close enough to seal the bead. My wife's van had a slow leak in the rear tire. You know the ones that take a couple months to get low and then you pump it up and say you'll check it out next time. Well the 3rd next time finally came and I got my tire plugging stuff out, took the tire off and put in the rubbermaid tub I bought for checking tires. No nail, the rim was bent on the inside lip. How do you bend an inside lip of a rear wheel? Got to be good to do that. So the fix was easier than plugging, just laid it on it's side and got the sledge and nailed the high spot a couple of times till it looked straight and checked it under water. Good to go, looks good, lasts long time.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 06:13 PM

There's a shop in St. Louis that straightens all kinds of wheels. I had a BIG whack in the rim of an aluminum Volvo wheel and they fixed it for $45.00, which included powder coating. Steel wheels are probably less. The fact that it is done commercially tells me that it is safe if done properly.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 10:26 PM
I Do This For The Glory

If it's an aluminum rim, find others.

If it's a steel rim, just get some body tools and a BFH, and beat them back. I've done it to a bunch of rims with no problems. At the last EMWF (Eastern Maine Wheel Fest) I bent a rim on the Zuk so bad it blew the bead immediately, came over a small cliff so hard I landed on that tire. Took the tire off (no jack needed), beat it back, aired it up, and kept going with it. Still holding air today, but I think I have some gravel in there now.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 09:30 AM
Journeyman

The rim is steel and it is only the bead area(it hit the curb and bent). It is bent pretty good, even though it did hold air for about a day and a half. The way it is bent you can not get a good shot it with a BFH. A new rim only cost about $45 dollars, but I only need it as a trail spare and would rather spend that money somewhere else in this large project for now. Down the road I will get a new one, but would like to use this one for now. So it seems like the heat thing is a bad idea?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 09:53 AM
Official Historian

Can you put a bar to the bend and beat on the bar?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 01:39 PM

steel wheels:
a big, like 2 ft of big) crescent wrench is about the best bead straightening tool i know of. a good tire shop with a 40/40 can straigthen a bent steel rim's bead

aluminum:
the one company that comes to my mind is metro wheels out of marietta, ga. they repair all rims, and do a very fine job. i dont know who in the philly/south jersey area does the same work. try calling some tire centers or a specialty parts place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode