Currie 9" Front end - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Currie 9\" Front end

Does anyone have any opinions on currie's 9" Front end?

Better than a built d44 ?

thnX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 05:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Currie 9\" Front end

I would assume that you are thinknig about ordering one. If you have to money to pull that off then I would say go for it. You can get exactly what you want. R&P that you want, breaks that you want. Shafts that you want. No hassel ether, it will come right to your door ready to bolt on. If you have the money then go for it. It sure will save you a lot of scrap yard time.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 05:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Welllll, the high pinion gears are really 8.8" gears, so you're looking at essentially D44 ring gear size, but it's reverse cut. I would think that with D60 outers you'd be in really good shape. (Front 609) Nice strong outers with light, high clearance axle. The only thing I didn't like were the axle tubes from Currie, they seemed thin.

Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 05:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I was thinking of going the same route. I got a 9" from an early bronco (for free!) that's going in the rear and I thought a Currie 9" front would be a good compliment. Spendy, but strong enough for all but big hp big blocks.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 06:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The tubes are 1/4" thick. I have one, I didn't buy it new. When these were ordered, I think you could still get fronts for a little over 2k. I think its a lot more then that now. I run a 4.3L/SM465/D300/5.43 gears and 36" TSLs. I just upgraded to Warn Alloys and CTM ujoints to remove that failure point, after breaking both sides in about 30 minutes. And replaced a grenaded R&P.
It really depends on what you are going to use it for... gearing, HP, tires and driver style. I do use liberal amounts of the go pedal when necessary.

They aren't bad axles, just expensive. Think about where you are headed before you spend the big $$$ on a new axle, and make sure you won't wish you went D60 later...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Yep...

I have my Ford 8.8 on the way, and want to have something equaly as strong or stronger in the front...

I`m going to call and talk to someone who sells Currie, and see what the total comes out to be... I know I can't afford to put a locker in the front... (if Ican even afford the front from currie.. hehe) but it would be nice...

-TOdd
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Debating on the Currie 9" Front ENd or the D44 front end...

As far as strength is the 9" NOTICABLE a lot stronger than a d44? (ala worth the extra $$$)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 07:31 PM

i put a 9" in the front and rear of my cj8. i love em. i have no fear because i wont break 'em like my amc20.
the ring gear is 9" not 8.8"
i went with the 31 spline axles. the 35 spline were not available at the time i ordered it.
i have chevy brake components up front. discs.
i have no complaints. curry delivered when they said they would. I would go back to them.
as for wanting a d60- unless you really beat on your truck with the Go pedal on the rocks..its really not necessary. I was chaning out a d44 that i had broken.for the last time..... good luck.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 08:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

9" vs D44:

What outers are you going to run? The outers are pretty much equivalent on the D44 and the Currie 9. Inner shafts? Maybe a little in favor of the 9, lots if you go 35 spline. Ring gear? 9"

Put alloy shafts and CTM's in a D44 and it will be a stout setup. Again I say, what are you going to use it for and what size eng/tran/tc/gears/tires do you plan on running?

If you went D44 would you go new, custom width or use a stock uncut axle from a donor?

Other stuff:

High Pinion Currie 9's do use the 8.8 R&P.

Both times I grenaded my front end, I was NOT heavy on the go pedal. The first time the front was loaded and turned, so I give that one some due, but the R&P was unloaded up hill, in low range assisted by a winch pull.

You run 38s or bigger with any kind of V8, you better have alloys and CTMs or start thinking a D60. This is all assuming you play in the rocks. If muds your game... have at it.

The Ford 9 is a good axle, I am not, at this point, thinking about dumping it.
But its not the end all. It can be for a lot of folks, but its not for everyone.

As for buying a new ford nine from currie and not putting a locker in it, I personally would wait the extra month or two that it took to scrape up the $$ and do it when you order. It is small $$ percentage wise when you look at the whole purchase.

Actually I should note that I've busted the front 3 times now in 3 outings. The last time was last weekend at the ERoCC comp. The alloys and CTMs held up, a hub let go. That is what I'd prefer to see happen. This was down hill in front drive only (blew the rear driveshaft and was trying to complete the obstacle) low range and grenaded the hub.

It is just a lot of cake for a new Currie axle. Most will be satisfied with them.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Hey Jim,

Thanks for that information.

This would be going in my stock YJ 6cyl, stock xfer case, and stock tranny... I will be running 35" tires and no larger...

I`m looking at either getting a Built 9" from Currie or a Built D44 from Currie,... but if the d44 will be enough that will save me some $... since I`m not running a big v8 or big tires I was thinking the d44 would be enough...

What's your opinion on this?

I also thought that if I ever went to 37's the 9" would handle it but also the d44 with CTM's and the warn shafts should handle it too....

This is my daily driver so I wont be doing anything TOO extreme.. but I do like the rocks...

I will be running 4.88's incase you were wondering.... in the future the TeraLow kit is planned....

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode