lotsa CJ 5 questions. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

lotsa CJ 5 questions.

hey again. been workin on my jeep 74 CJ-5(had it a week and only driven it around the block once so far!) the exhaust manifold was broken where the (exhaust)pipe bolts to it, so we got a new one. the carb. was also messed up, so we got another one of those. put it all on today.... the carb(re-built from NAPA) leaks like a sieve, and he thing idles like a tank.(wub-wub wub-wub, really loud).the bolts seem to all be tight. i found no exhaust gasket(between block and manifold) when i took it off, is that normal? also, i had these 2 steel vacuum(?) lines one going through the exhaust manifold, one going through the intake. they were plugged up at both ends and obviously didnt go anywere. previous owner's work i suppose. anyway, i left them off, taking care to plug the hole left in the carb. lastly, i wasnt paying attention when i took off the old carb(oops) and there are 2 holes i cant figure out. one is gas going in. the other had (again, previous owner= shadetree) a long hose coming off of it going to nothing. its a straight six engine, one barrel carter carb, believe it all stock under the hood. any help would be greatly appreciated.. also, im i paris TX, if theres anyone around here that knows anything, feel free to speak up. thanks everyone. BTW- im 18 and ive been working on cars all my life, but this is my first jeep, and my first straight 6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 10:09 PM

Re: lotsa CJ 5 questions.

Hi Sparky, welcome to the board! I see we share a common last name.

That said, I'm also running a '74 CJ5. I've got the 304 V-8 in mine, but maybe I can help a bit:

1. Carb. If it is leaking like a sieve, and it's not the gas line connection, look carefully at the shafts running through the body and butterfly. If it is leaking there, yard it off and haul it back down to NAPA.

2. Exhaust gasket. I'm not 100% sure on the 258, but my 304 has 'em. Also every engine I've ever worked on has had them.

3. The steel "vacuum" lines were probably for an air pump that is no longer on the vehicle. My 304 came with an air pump as well. 1974 emmissions technology. Sounds like the PO may have taken it off....I did my own in...*grin*....the bracket will someday soon run a power steering pump....

4. The other line coming out of the carb may have gone to a charcoal canister. Look on the driver's side of the engine compartment near your washer resivoir and see if there is a sorta can looking gizmo there. It will have a fitting on top to connect the long hose to if it is the same as my 304.

I'm sure a couple of the other guys on the board will be able to help you with anything I have wrong. Let us know how it works out for you.

Oh, and you might want to put something about your jeep in your profile so we know what we are talking about when you ask for advice.

Good luck!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

thanks a bunch man. your reply was really helpful. the carb is leaking there, so it goes back tommorow. yes, i have charcoal canister. i looked it up, does it actually DO anything? i mean, could i chunk it into the bushes with no problems? i try to keep my engine bay easy and simple. i suppose ill go to an auto store and order a exhaust gasket.. means i have to take the freakin thing off again.. grrr... oh well. at least theres only one. il work on my profile some. thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 08:54 AM
rojo5

Imagine that a Napa 1 barrel leaking I replaced mine got from them 2 gaskets leaked and the float had a hole in it. The line coming from the exhaust manifold goes in on the drivers side of the choke adjuster, the other line goes into the front passenger side next to the fuel inlet and then to the charcoal cannister. the charcoal cannister is to catch the vapors that are coming off the gas in the bowl and also the tank.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 01:38 PM

the 258s did not come with an exhaust manifold gasket, but most of the gasket sets include a gasket for it? If it was leaking you could try to stick one in there, if it sealed up then dont worry about it.

good luck

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode