Paint & Primer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Paint & Primer

I need some help selecting a primer that can be used over both bare metal, plastic filler and existing paint. What should I be asking for? Are only some primers self-etching?

Also, the hardner for the Limco 123 Urethane I was using on my jeep went bad. Turned hard on it's own. The guy at the paint shop is telling me it is $75.00 a quart now. Can I use anyone's urethane hardner? Are they all the same? I'm guesing probably not, but thought I would ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 04:22 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Paint & Primer

I never used self etching primer , we scored the bare metal and made sure it was absolutely perfectly clean before the primer went on . I used a good quality Hi-Solids primer and a generic catalyst . On the paint I used DuPont Centari with Pro-Form hardner and generic reducer . Worked flawlessly and is still solid as a rock . You can save lots by going with generic catalyst / hardners /reducers etc... And there`s nothing wrong with them at all . And they smell real nice too [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Jeff
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 04:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well this is an area that I can help someone finally.
I am a certified Dupont Master auto refinisher. Dupont makes a product called Euro Prime that is super but very hard to work with a product with very close results and ease to work with is Sherwin Williams self etching primer which is great because you can get this product in two (known forms) in pints,quarts and gallon cans. But what is really cool about this products is it also comes in a aerasol can as well that works as good as if you put it on with a gun. PPG also makes a decent product that is self etching. This are premium products you can save money intially using inferior products but I reccomend the above
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 06:52 PM

when using urethanes and catylists you should be using a mask a very good mask even when mixing them the fumes are proven carcinogens please use the utmost caution
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 11:48 PM
Old Hand

Needs to be an AIR SUPPLIED mask for it to be effective. The carbon filters will NOT filter out the cyanides(sp not sure). Im a painter too. LOL as a matter of fact were going in for fit tests tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode