Auto trans wont move jeep - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 12:25 PM
SPRUCE

Auto trans wont move jeep

I was up at Silver Lake in Michigan playing in the dunes when my T400 started to act funny. When stopped it act like it was shifting between neutral and drive. I checked the fluid and everything looks good. The fluid is not burnt and the trans is full. The shifting linkage also appeared to be correct. Now that it is back home I could hardly get it to move reving the motor up to 4K to drive it off the trailer and into the garage. Now what could be wrong with the jeep? My little 360 should not have enough power to blow out the clutches in the T400. The trans was rebuilt by a trans shop that porked me for $1100 5 years ago and I only put about 1000 miles on it sense the rebuild.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 12:36 PM
Official Historian

Re: Auto trans wont move jeep

Ouch, I had my TH400 rebuilt by a local shop (don't know anyone there, just picked one) and it only cost $250 with a new torque converter. It shifts hard and crisp too.

I had one time that that happened to me but it was because I blew a cooler line and lost all my trans fluid.

A couple years later, it started slipping in third going up hills at freeway speeds which is why I got it rebuilt.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 09:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Did you have the torque converter replace with the tranny or is the x-case gone? Sounds like something has let go.

Good Luck!
Kriss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 12:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same thing happen to my 999 2 days after shop rebuild.

What happened was the clip which held the shift "rod" (I don't know what you call it, the post that comes up vertical from inside the tranny which the shifter rotates to change from P to 1, etc) came off, and then after that no power transmission.

I could rev and rev, but no result in any gear. I took it back to the guy that rebuilt it 2 days before, and he put the clip back on (this is inside the tranny), problem solved. Just a possiblity for you.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 06:39 AM
SPRUCE

Yes it was a new torque converter when the trans was rebuilt. And for once I think I finally have my Trnasfer case working right. These q-trac T-cases have been one of my biggest problems. The t-case has a part time kit in it, so the clutches or a spun hub is not the problem this time.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 06:52 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Hve you changed the fluid and filter?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 08:07 AM
Official Historian

You say a spun hub is not the problem. Is this because you have one piece shafts?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 08:37 AM
Way Outta Control

Get a Manual on the transmission. Ok, now let's sit down and look at the problem logically.

1. The vacuum modulator goes and the transmission goes into an equilivent of limp home mode. So, that's not the problem.

2. You say the fluid is good. So, there's not suspended grit in it? There's no burned smell? It's nice an pink?

3. Fluid level is Good.

4. But still only reduced Forward or Reverse.

5. Don't ever Rev to 4K... this is a bad thing to do when you''ve got a transmission problem.

6. Did you check the Filter?

7. I'd doubt it's the TC.

8. The problem is affecting both foward and reverse.. so it likely centered in the hydraulics, but unlikely in both servos... so,
a. Do hydraulic pressure tests of the tranny while it is still in the Jeep.
b. If the tests show the pressure is low then pull the transmission.
c. Check the pump, the input shaft seals and the pump seals. If the pump seals are shot... you won't build up enough hydraulic pressure to completely engage the clutch packs.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 08:58 AM
Old Hand

LEVE,

The FSM I sent you on cd has the complete teardown on it for the TH400. Have you received the cd's yet??
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 11:02 AM
SPRUCE

Is there an easy way to check the pressure without having to take it down to the tranny shop? I think that would be a good check to do before checking the filter and putting it back together and still finding out that I have the same problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode