Improved Air Flow - Those $65.00 aluminum parts. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 10:35 AM
mindbender

Improved Air Flow - Those $65.00 aluminum parts.

I was in NAPA the other day and saw one of those Tornado, etc pieces that are to fit into the intake air system before the throttle body/carb. Supposedly, they are to increase air turbulance in such a way as to turn air into a tornado that more rapidly enters the intake and eventually the cylinders. It was made out of stamped thin aluminum. I thought about buying one, taking it home and using it as a template to make one. I figured I could make it for under $1.00. Then take the original back to the shop. After thinking about it - I really wondered if it was even worth the time to create. Any body with experience with one of these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 10:53 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Improved Air Flow - Those $65.00 aluminum parts.

1. It's snakeoil. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
2. Send me the buck. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 10:54 AM
Official Curmudgeon

J. C. Whiney sold these things back in the 50's. Back then they mounted under the carb and had little propellers in them. It had a cable that came out of it with something on the end that I guessed ran off the fan belt or something. I never was that interested. I figured with all the porting and polishing going on to reduce turbulence for better air flow, paying good money for something to add it in was counterproductive. I figured the head swirl would mix the gases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 12:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I always thought they were bogus too. think about this, they are probably right in thinking that getting the air going in a vortec probably does casue it to flow faster and do what ever, but what happens when the air hits the intake and gets distributed to 4,6,8... different tunnels in the inttake? there goes your littel vortex deal and it's right back to the turbulent air flow. I witnessed how fast air gets sucked into a carb...don't ask [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]...and that air is already haulin' a$$. if you really want to speed it up get a Ram air setup.

but that's just my thoughts....
Brent
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 12:23 PM

I think it's bogus. How foolish the factories must be to spend millions on hybrid alternative fuel automobiles to increase the fleet averages a few mpg when a small spacer under the throttle body would have done the job. That and a magnet around the fuel line to "energize the fuel particles".

Seems to me a vortex creates a centrifuge like effect and would make fuel more likely to wet down the intake walls than laminar flow.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 11:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

No matter how you look at that thing ...it's a restriction. Sure it forms the air flow ..but only at the air flow's expense. This thing makes sense as a fixed blade component of a multivaned turbine ..they use a varitey of fixed and rotating vanes to compress incoming air.

Another point that was brought up was "how do you split a tornado (vortex) ..it can't form 4, 6, or 8 mini tornadoes ..and suppose you have a 4 bbl carb. Does the big tornado split into two or four mini tornadoes and reform into a tornado on the otherside of the throtte plates in the intake plenumn? Besides that the flow in the runner of an intake manifold isn't constant ..it's a series of pulses.

The rhetoric that I've heard it that you DO raise the velocity locally ...but the mean velocity of the intake remains the same. If it was such a good idea they would have larger intakes that were contoured to form this type of flow (the spiral would be cast into them). They don't.

This is not even as good as a oversized throttle body. At least with them you "perceive" more power. Basically they just reindex the throttle by giving you a larger throttle opening for every mm that you push your foot down. There is no real power gain until you reach the limits of the normal sized throttle body ..which is usually WOT. So ..you "perceive" more "low-end" torque and better throttle response ..but you're just using less foot ..not less throttle. Now I'm not saying that buying a bored out throttle body is a waste of money ...just that it's not magic.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 11:34 PM
Old Hand

Yup a guy at work just made one He is a nut. He was telling me about it on Tuesday and then he built one today. He is just one of those guys that never learn. But then again he has NO LIFE to speak of. It was cheap entertainment I suppose

Mike
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 12:06 AM
Way Outta Control

It sure sounds good - more mileage, less emissions, more power.
Notice the instructions say to re-adjust the carb too, or clean the injection system.
The re-adjustment/cleaning's what does the trick and make's it legal for their statements.

But a serious question -- If I bought all the "mileage enhancers" that JCW sells will I have to stop and drain the gas tank every few miles or so? The mileage will go up so high I should be making gas!
I don't object to that, but if I have to stop at less than 100 mile intervals it could get annoying.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 09:22 AM
farmboy3d

I've seen throttle spacer things that go between the throttle body and intake manifold or whatever is there and create the same vortex thing. I was wondering if that is better or just a regular throttle body spacer. I just bought a 2000 TJ 2.5L and am trting to find way to increase power. I noticed that the vortex spacers are cheaper than that Tornado thingy. Anyway I think they are crap, wondering about the spacer though.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 11:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I've often wondered what effect the spacers REALLY have. I know that back in the 70's the practice of adding carb spacers was a cheap hp trick. Given that there were manifolds that did the same thing ..there had to be something to it...but that was with an air/fuel mixture. Air is much easier to manage I would think. I guess in increasing the intake size/volume ..you decrease the pressure drop (or vacuum increase) upon cylinder intake. Now BMW apparently uses some sophisticated variable length intake runners for each cylinder ..and they only manage air ...so..????

Anyone got the "fat" on carb spacers of yester year and how they may apply in the "injection era"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode