T18 swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

T18 swap

Will a T18 bolt up to a 81 cj5 that had the GM 151 in it. Right now it has a 350 but Im using the same bellhousing. I hadnt really thought about swapping my tranny out until my piece o crap SR-4 broke. Just wondering if it would be a good option. I think probably my best be would be with a ford t18 since I can still use my dana 300, but im not sure if it will bolt to my bellhousing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 10:27 PM
BMB
Veteran

Re: T18 swap

Don't know for sure, there are several variations on the T18. If you have the 350 and 151 bellhousing I'd go with a SM465 or SM420(both GM trannies) and get a Novak adapter for the 300. Check Novak's site, they have lots of good info on swaps on it. <a target="_blank" href=http://novak-adapt.com>novak-adapt.com</a>

BMB
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 06:51 AM

I've got a 80 CJ7 w/ 151 and SR4. Lately I've been doing research on an engine/tranny swap. It is my understanding that a Ford NP435 tranny should fit the 151/SR4 bellhousing however new mounting holes will have to be drilled. Novak makes an adapter to mate the NP435 to the Dana 300. I would also suggest you check out their site.

I'm not as familiar with the Ford T18 but I would assume that since it is also a Ford tranny it should mate with the 151/SR4 bellhousing in a similar manner. Can anyone enlighten us further?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 07:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am not sure how the match up is for the 151, but RMH Enterprises sells a Rebuilt T18 W/adapter for that matches up to a 258 and a d300. That is what I am looking at for my son's 86 CJ7. He also has an SR4.
RMH told me that the SR4 and the T18 are the same length and for my swap the drive line would stay the same. The RMH T18 for mine is $1000 plus shipping. No core. It has a 6.32 1st gear. It also has a lifetime warranty.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 08:14 AM
Nickmil

Yes,
The FORD T-18 will bolt to your bellhousing. You will have to drill and tap the holes for the bolts however. If I remember correctly the bosses are cast in the bellhousing for this. Just not drilled and tapped. The depth is correct. You will need an adapter for the 300 and turn down the bearing retainer for the GM throwout bearing. Nickmil.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 09:03 AM
RatPatrol

I have a ford t-18 in my 80 CJ-7. It has a 258, and had a SR-4. The t-18 has the Novak adapter. It bolted directly up to the stock bellhousing with no mods at all. I'm not sure if the bellhousing on the 151 is the same as the 258, but I would think they are the same.

-Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode