Old willys - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 08:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Old willys

My buddy has a 1946 willys. It is in decent shape and has a 4cyl. flathead. It has a newer soft top, a original willys snow plow, and a rear PTO cable winch. How much are these things worth? It runs pretty good and he wants to get me to make a offer. I don't think he thinks it's worth much but I do. Would this be a better restoration or modify project? I know there are alot of variables to these questions but I'm not very familiar with Jeeps. All imput appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 05:52 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Old willys

If I were you, and I had the money, I would go for it. That is if it is in good shape. But that is just me. Somthing like that is wort a lot to the right people and worth nothing to others. It is just a matter of taste. They sure do rank high on the cool factor though that is for sure.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 08:50 AM

Modify or restore depends on it's current condition, your skill, your toolchest, your patience, and the depth of your pockets.

No matter which you do, it is certainly a good experience to own and work on an old flatfender.

If he doesn't think it's worth much, don't offer him much. If he's a buddy, he'll want you to get it for a "good buddy" price, not what he thinks he could get on the open market.

Prices for these things vary by area and of course, condition.
Here's something for comparison: Two years ago, I sold my '48 CJ2A here in South-Central PA. It had 46K miles, 12V conversion, some rust on pass side/under toolbox/spare carrier, engine started but overheated, jumped out of 2nd gear due to chipped tooth, two bad wheel cylinders, had a Warn OD, no top. It sold for $1900.
I've seen others mechanically better but with much worse sheet metal sell for ~$500.

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 10:58 AM

Were it me and I had the money, the critter would be in the my yard before the ink was dry on the title. 'Course I've already got the CJ5 for off road, so I'd do a full resto to original....then put in the garage and just take it out for shows, parades and such. Heck got all excited the other day when a lady on the local radio "ad show" advertised a "1941 miltitary Jeep"....I KNEW it was an MA or MB...rare birds for '41. Ran down there with a trailer and it turned out to be a '53 M38A1...in VERY rough shape (you know, the kinda shape where the frame was the only thing that looked sorta intact....) Let us know what you do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode