need help removing rear tcase subassmy? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 07:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

need help removing rear tcase subassmy?

i'm trying to fix the seal on the rear of my tcase(231) where the back of the tcase meets the rear sub assembly-- the part that holds the speedo gear etc. i've got an RE sye kit (the one where you just cut the output shaft).. well i've got all the bolts off holding that sub assembly on the rear of the tcase, and still have that red annodized piece of the sye kit attached to the subassembly(the non moving piece).. when i try to remove the sub assembly off from the rear of the tcase, it seems that the main shaft wants to come out with it.. question is, do i need to remove the rest of the sye kit from the sub assembly, before trying to remove the subassembly from the rear of the tcase? i see a bearing in there.. maybe thats keeping the whole thing together? 89 YJ, 4cyl..
thanks a ton.. hope this is clear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 09:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: need help removing rear tcase subassmy?

I've never messed with the sye where you just cut the output shaft, but......some of those t-cases have a (I assume) balancer on it...which is a pain to get off. IF yours does not have this...go ahead and take the yoke off the output shaft and try to work the housing off while pushing in on the output shaft. The bearing does hold it a little but it will let it come off fairly easy. I hope this is somewhat related to shat you are trying to accomplish! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Later, Casey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode