Auto Tranny External Cooler Questions?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Auto Tranny External Cooler Questions??

I just went out and got an external aftermarket tranny cooler for my jeep. The orginal cooler was in the radiator and it was hooked up with threaded metal hoses. My question is how much pressure comes out of the auto tranny? The cooler i got and the other coolers that are available connect with rubber hoses and hose clamps, it just seems like this would leak, but i just don't know how much pressure is in the lines to the tranny. So guessing that it should be OK because it came in a kit like this, i just wanted to be sure.
I got a turbo 400 tranny in my commando.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 06:39 PM

Re: Auto Tranny External Cooler Questions??

single clamp where the metal is flared, douple clamp where it isnt, and it wont leak.

the cooler lines dont have that much pressure.

but now when you want to service your trans, you can open the feed line to the cooler, and run the engine and keep adding atf to teh dipstiick until youve flushed the system

I used to do it that way, do that every 10K miles, then swap the internal filter the next swap then start over.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 06:50 PM
Way Outta Control

Circulation through the cooler is low pressure. The higher hydraulic pressure is developed and expended inside the transmission.

So,

1. You can use hose clamps,
2. And flexible line.
3. Don't use rubber, be sure that the flexible line is rated to carry ATF.
4. If not, ATF will destroy the line.
5. Be sure you also debur and flair the line you clamp around.
6. If not, the the line will be cut at the end of the hard line.
7. I'd also slip some 5/8" hose over the spliced area and clamp it to the splice to relieve fatigue and stress from possible rubbing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks guys... that is what i needed to know. I havnt been able to start the new project yet, because if i did, all the fluid would fly weverywhere, and that would not be so cool. So now
I believe i can get it up and running this week

Thanks agan
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 09:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

heres a nifty idea since you arent done yet... get one of those external oil filter kits from summit and run it inline. change it every 10000 miles or so.. cheap.. easy...adds a quart of atf to the system..
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 06:15 AM

the esternal filter makes for easy maintenence but if you do that, youll need to swap the filter in teh pan from a paper one to a brass screen unit.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 07:33 AM

i have a brand new external tranny oil filter kit from summit (PRM 10677, $80) for sale. i bought it and decided to use a different one. all the parts are there and the filter still has the wrapper on it. make offer.

matt
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 09:41 AM
mindbender

On my CJ, the tranny cooler line runs from the transmission to the external oil cooler that I put on the front of the radiator. From there the line runs to the one side of the bottom of the radiator and then runs from the other side of the bottom of the radiator back to the tranny. I understand the purpose of the tranny fluid going through the external cooler - is to cool it down, but the purpose of going through the bottom of the radiator is to heat it up or assure that the tranny fluid is a an appropriate operating temperature.

I have metal lines coming out of tranny. I have rubber line from the metal tube to the external cooler and from the external cooler to the bottom of radiator. A metal line goes from the bottom of the radiator back to the tranny.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 10:35 AM

the factory runs the trans coolant thru a coil of tube in teh radiator to keep the atf cool, the radiator should never get hotter than 190-200 degrees, and trannys stay happy a little below that, thats just a cheap decent working factory cooler.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 10:46 AM
Keyboard Implanted

No [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ...the cooler in the radiator is a cooler. The trans typically operates above the engines coolant temp. The big block suburban radiators (among others I'm sure) have two coolant circuits in them, one in each tank. One is an oil cooler ..the other for the trans.

The recommended installation order if you're going to use BOTH an external and a rad cooler (naturally this is from a trans cooler manufacturers position) is to determine the flow and place the external cooler as last in line back to the trans. That way the ATF is coolest upon return to the trans. It dumps some heat in the rad ..and dumps more in the external cooler.

The advantage of eliminating the tank cooler is that engine overheat will not degrade your trans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode