Good Deal? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 03:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good Deal?

Ok, i was searching ebay for some jeeps and i came across this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1857326745

Does that seem like a good price for thatif i were to buy it with the buy it now for $6,900? How do i know its in all good shape and would shippin me alot if i live in Michigan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 03:42 PM

Re: Good Deal?

I'd buy it, even if the driveshafts ARENT 1/2 ton...looks solid and the 350 and the tires are worth that much, lol. You can't get a scrambler around here, bone stock with rust for less than 8k...but then again it looks a wee bit short to be scrambled and says nothing about being a bob-tail 8???? My 2 cents, but I'd like to have it anyway.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 04:00 PM

It looks to be a pretty decent deal.. Of course a lot remains unseen (internal condition of drivetrain, wiring job etc... ) pretty vague description too kinda makes me wonder... but for $7000 I have more than that in parts doing my own swap and build-up and it aint near as pretty... Shipping on the other hand will run ya... I would say... anywhere from $500-$1500 depending on who you get to haul it and how they do it etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 04:00 PM
Official Historian

I see a lot wrong with it for that price.

It still has a dana 30.
EVERYTHING was painted, door handles, windshield wiper attachment (no wipers though), door strikers, soft top rails, spare tire rack brackets, fuel filler pocket, defroster ducts, wiper linkage covers, wiper motor, hood catches.
Exhaust is outside the frame rails and turns down under the jeep. This is very easy to burn your leg on and the fumes will come back in if it doesn't run out the back corners.
No tailgate weatherstripping.
It has a bolt with a long shoulder for a winshield knob.
No cover on the shifter mechanism.
They call it a CJ8 but it's a CJ7.
It has a larger tank with spacers to lower the stock skidplate when with the body lift, it could have stayed higher.
Broken taillight.
No spare tire carrier.
No bumpers or bumperettes.
No inside rearview mirror.
No windshield cowl seal under the windshield frame.
No radio (minor issue).
No center console.
No back seat.
No trim rings around the headlights.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 05:08 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Will, you caught more of the things than I did. Good job on the headlight rings. It looks good and has some nice extras. But looks aren't everything. I would be a bit concerned on it being advertised as a CJ-8. The VIN identifies it at a CJ-7 though so I don't know how much concern I will have on what they call it. Its kinda hard to test drive that far away. You may also want to check your local laws. There are lift laws and laws on the max size of tires. I know a lot of places let that go, but if something happens they may throw that at you. Where I come from 4 inches is the max suspension lift and I don't know about body lift. I believe max tire size is 36 inches, but you may want to check on that. I would be a bit concerned on how there is no way to keep you from burning yourself on the exhuast. Any vehicle sitting that tall won't be easy getting in and out of and one little slip and you'll be in the hospital being treated for 2nd or 3rd degree burns. Also it only has the stock roll cage. If you plan on doing some major off-roading in it many places will require a full cage. That is extra money going into it, and do you really want to scratch that paint? Now to truly answer the question. If I had the money I would plan a last minute family vacation to Laguna Beach and actually see it. I am wary of spending large amounts of money on something I can't see. No one here will stop you from buying it, but that price doesn't seem too bad.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 06:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for your input everyone. I just picked up a autorader mag from the local gas station. It was $1.25 and has all jeeps and trucks. I'm just gonna try and find a good jeep for a good deal within 100miles from where i live. I don't really even need the jeep to be as high as that one. I'm only a beginner and need to practice on little off-roading befor goin to the big stuff. Plus i don't have a job at the sec so it will be tuff to maintain it for a while. I'm only 16 so as far as a family trip to where that jeep is, thats not gonna happen. Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode