OT what freq of light gives the most visible light - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

OT what freq of light gives the most visible light

IM shopping some LEDs to retrofit some flashlights ( almost backpacking season)

and im wondering what color and what nanometer I should look for to give the best performance, it seems the brightest available are green or red, the white ones are 1/5 or less of the total lumens output of the red/green.

is it ok to use red or green, which would be better?

oh yeah, check out www.eLED.com for your led needs, realy cool site.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 03:01 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: OT what freq of light gives the most visible light

Red light has the shortest wavelength, but I belive gives the most visible light. But for camping red light is ideal. It will not ruin your night vision and will be bright enough to see. Any LED will work great for a flashlight though because they are just so darned bright.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 03:39 PM
Way Outta Control

My youngest daughter recently went to an LDS Church Girls camp for a week. Every year we buy her a flashlight... and she comes home and it's destroyed. She's really rough on equiptment.

So, I decided it was time for a change

I went to Target and bought an $18 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.ebtx.com/mech/optolite.html>Eddie Bauer Opto-E-light</a>. It lasted her the 5 day camp.. She couldn' kill it, and I'd bet it was ALWAYS on... you know at night up her nose, in her ear, showing how red her finger tip was, in her mouth... the kid's inventive. But, I've been using it on the car and for comptuer maintance since she got home on the same set of batteries. I'm impressed.

I have an inepxensive Green LED keyring flashlight... and I've seen blue and red. The colors, though pretty are not my cup of tea. I don't like the diminished light at my age. I want as much "visiable" light as I can get, and I favor white.

As light's nothing more than energy and looking at the photoronic discharge of visible light, violet has the most energy and red the least. White is great for most usage because everything is in color that you're looking at. A white light allows better color distinction but can cause pupil dilation, hence the use of Red for map lights.

IMHO if you wnat a LED flashlght for night Map reading... get a small Red LED for that, and keep a larger White LED flashlight for normal usage. I'm going to buy a couple more of these little $5 wonders and install them in my RollBar mounted overhead light assembly as Map Lights.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

I converted just now with a "super bright" red LED, and its pretty bright, you can easily see to walk with it, but its red!

I cant find any white LEDs that are rated at a similar output lumens wise, so thats why I was asking.

ive also discovered unless I buy a pretty good sized quantity than im not saving much money on a $0.35 led compared to going to rat shack and buying one ( like I did today) for $2.47

I appreciate the info, Ill have find a physiscs website and try to learn how the color/freq/light thing works more I guess

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 04:43 PM

Think of it this way: Our eyes were designed to work in white light. Anything else is not going to give a true picture of what you're looking at. If you only need to see shapes, any color will do, but I wouldn't want to troubleshoot a wiring problem with a single-color light.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 04:49 PM
Way Outta Control

Sorry, as ususal I didn't read the post well enough... and missed the part about you retrofitting some flashlights.

I've been looking for about 6 months into retrofitting and finally decided it wasn't worth my time or money at the cost of the White LED's and bit the bullet and bought that Eddie Bauer unit.

Oh yeah, one other thing to consider...as you age your cornea becomes more yellow in color. This does effect how you see light.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 04:57 PM

"I appreciate the info, Ill have find a physiscs website and try to learn how the color/freq/light thing works more I guess "

I hope I'm not insulting your intelligence by suggesting a really basic site, but try <a target="_blank" href=http://www.howstuffworks.com>www.howstuffworks.com</a>
They have pretty good explanations of just about anything.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

darn Dan,

IM not an Imbecile!

Im kidding! I am a moron!
its ok, Ill check it out!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Leve,
here is my price list to date.

$1 flashlight from teh dollar store ( water proof 2 AA, black rubber thing)
$1 for 4 AA batteries from same store

$2.47 super bright red led from rat shack.

and about 5 minutes of soldering ( 4 minutes of which was waiting for cheap iron to heat up)

and ive got a pretty bright red led flashlight.

Ive been checking it in a room with no lights, but as it gets darker Ill check it outside, and then probably leave it on a few days and check its battery life with these ultra cheap batteries.

I also figured the LED is speced at 2.6 V, so im overdriving it slightly, but since the life is usually rated on 100K hours I figure a shortened life is acceptable.

Ill for sure goto target and chekc those lights out though, im always looking for bargains.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 09:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i can never get this right....would we wanna set them up in parallel or in series if we wanted them to be the brightest.....
i have an idea to make a cheap LED dome light for my jeep now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode