Trans- oh no, the Jeep won't - Go shift kit - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Trans- oh no, the Jeep won\'t - Go shift kit

Yes, I'm still alive & lurking and got in some Jeep time this weekend (far more than I wanted to for one project) and made my stupid move for the year and messed around with my daily driver '86 CJ-7 (T-999 trans)...fortunately my wife works 10 minutes up the road from me, so I can ride with her for the rest of the week. Decided to tend to my trans over the weekend...had a new poly mount, Mopar deep pan & Trans-Go shift kit calling my name. Dropped the skid plate, pan, & filter...thought for a moment about whether or not to mess with the shift kit, and figured why not since I had scheduled Monday off and that would give me an extra 'safety day'. Pull out the instructions & the instructional video...what a train wreck...there's stuff on the video that isn't on the printed sheets and vice versa, plus the sheets are supposed to supercede the video so not only is there conflicting info, but there's some info that's not supplied at all...what the heck did I get myself into?!? Drop the valve body, take it apart, do a little filing, drill a couple of holes, do a little grinding, replace a couple of springs, and put it back together. It's getting close to dinner time at this point, so I call it a day and hit the shower. Get this nagging feeling that I ought to double check the position of the TV shaft as I'm falling asleep. Get up on Sunday to meet with the other Tiger Cub den leader so that we can work on the cubmobile. He leaves after a few hours and there's several things buzzing around in my head that need to be tweaked on the cubmobile...all thoughts of the TV shaft are now gone. Change back into my oil-soaked clothes, remove the tranny mount bracket & replace the bushings & bolt it back on, attempt to modify the servos, but there's no instructions for dealing with the arm on the front and the instruction don't cover the arm & band setup that I have for the rear, so I couldn't do that portion and double-checked that there wouldn't be a problem with this. Put the valve body back in (being sure to put the actuator back in that falls out when the valve body is removed), put the new filter & spacer assembly in and bolt on the deep pan. Go back up top and hook up the shifter linkage, go to hook-up the TV linkage...aargh!!! I *did* put the TV shaft in the wrong way. Release a few choice words, take a deep breath, and start undoing everything to the sounds of approaching thunder in the background (it isn't supposed to rain until Tuesday). Now I'm ticked off and in a hurry and start putting away non-essential tools & parts. I get the valve body out and correct my mistake, go to put it back in, and promptly lose the e-clip for the shift rod that runs back to the tailhousing. It's dinner-time again, so I knock off since I've got one more day to get it back together. Head to Home Depot in the morning and buy two e-clips, change into my oil-soaked clothes again, spread out the moving blanket I'd been using to lay on, and promptly find the &*^* e-clip sitting on the ground by the back tire. Put the valve body & accumulator back in, bolt up the filter & spacer, go up top & hook up the linkages & check my reverse lights and put the access cover back on and pull the carpet back down, put the tranny pan back on, bolt up the skid plate and position the tranny mounts and lower the drivetrain back down into place and bolt it up. Dump about 3 quarts of fluid in, start the Jeep up and check for leaks and try to make sure that all of the smoke is coming from me getting fluid on the exhaust pipes, realize I don't have any more fluid and hit the shower & run down to Pep Boys for a couple more jugs of fluid. Start up the Jeep, pour in a jug (4 quarts) and half of the last jug which should put me about a pint shy of published capacity plus the additional quart allowed by the deep pan. Reverse, nothing. Forward gears, slight drop in RPM, but no drivetrain engagement. Pour in another pint, same thing, so I let it roll down the driveway a bit, then try the forward gears...a whole lotta revving, very little movement. So, there she sits. Any ideas what I might have goofed up? Trying to decide if I should send it down the road to the trans shop that I use, or crawl back under on Saturday and swap in the valve body from my spare trans and pray that this thing comes back to life. Sorry for the long-windedness, but I wanted to make sure that I covered everything that I did.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 10:06 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Trans- oh no, the Jeep won\'t - Go shift kit

Get the rear wheels off the ground and make sure the torque converter is spinning when you rev it up..... Might just need a little more fluid in it could have drained out if it was at a slant or the transmission was lowered in the back... I chose not to fool with the shift kit for fear of having problems. When we put a used th400/dana 20 behind a buddies 304 a few weeks ago we had a similar problem and it was a lack of fluid (sounds like you got it pretty full though).
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 05:10 AM
Way Outta Control

Rodney, can you email me the instructions? About the only thing I can think of is you may have repositioned a check ball in an incorrect place. Without them correctly positioned... pressures can't build up. Double, triple check the valve body.

Last edited by LEVE; 03-24-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

How should it behave if the torque converter *is* spinning? The Jeep does move forward, just takes a lot of revving to get it to do so. My driveway is on an incline, so there's definitely some slant. I'll check the level again when I get home since all of the fluid should have settled it's way down out of the tube & I should be able to get an accurate reading.

I'll e-mail you the instructions tomorrow. I actually did mine without taking the check balls out, but there is a possibility that I may have lost one or more at some point during reassembly...I don't remember double-checking again just before putting the two halves back together.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 07:44 AM

it sure soundslike its low on ATF.

Ive installed a couple of those trans go kits, and never had any problems, although I never got a video, just the instructions.

was it the $25 kit? you replace the colored spring on teh pressure valve, and drill a few holes in the seperator plate and deburr them?

you did put a pickup extender on that filter for the deep pan right?

it just sounds like its low on fluid, and depending on how much youve reved it to make it move it might be damaged, when its slipping its wearing the clutches, and lo reverse band quickly.

I wore one out once trying to climb ONE hill ( about 1/4 mile) when the fluid had leaked out.
the clutch disks were slick as a infant butt.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

It was the $80-90 kit...comes in a fancy full-color box with a video and stickers. I had one of the $25 kits before, but couldn't remember where I bought it...all told I probably only used the same parts as what's in that kit. Yes, I did put the pickup extender on. I revved it back up the driveway about 6 feet maybe 3 times...it did start making some noise on the last trip up, though. I'll check the fluid when I get home now that everything's settled and see if it's still making noise...good thing I have a spare...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Okay, it's over-filled now and leaking, so I'll be yanking the drain plug to correct that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode