A question to all you Jeep Vetren's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

A question to all you Jeep Vetren\'s

This is not a joke, even though it kind of starts like one.

A Jeep club goes into this Jeep dealership to see if they want to help sponsor a Jeep show on their lot. The dealership says okay and suggest a 4x4 shop to have at the show because the dealership does a lot of business with that shop. It is mentioned by the club, that they would like to have other shops, as many as possible there at the show on the dealerships lot. The dealerships stresses that that would be akward and would jepordize the relationship with the 4x4 shop they do business with. The club says okay. Well less than one week before the show, it is anounced by the club that they will indeed have another shop at the show. The dealership is upset and says it can not happen that way. Now everyone in the club is upset with the dealership. The End.

What do all of you think about this? and What do you think should happen?

Please, if you know about this first hand, do not reply yet. Lets see what others who are not involved with this have to say.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 08:38 PM

Re: A question to all you Jeep Vetren\'s

Since the show was to be on the dealerships lot then it would seem to me that the dealership can do anything they want to. If the club wanted to have more than one shop represented they could have always tried to get permission from the city to use a park. That's how they do the shows here.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 08:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The dealer is messing up here. There main guy should have the big, flashy, front and center booth. If other guys want to come they should be there, but in the corner. There is nothing wrong with the dealer takin care of there guy, but they may need the other guy one day. Also competion can be a good thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 09:01 PM

Although I do not agree with what the dealership is doing, since it is on their turf and they are sponsoring it, they can make the rules. If I was in the club, I would cancel since it is coming up pretty quick, regroup and have it somewhere else. Then ask who you want there-even other Jeep dealers. Remember-these are the reasons you never trust dealers. They are in it for their own good only. Both in sales and repair. I would bet the other 4x4 goddies shops would put on a better show anyway.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 09:06 PM

While I agree that a show with more booths is generally better, and therefor the dealer is being kind of short sighted in allowing only their buddy to be there, The club did agree to it originally. Then tried to change the rules at the last minute trying to force the dealer into cooperating at the risk of bad press... In this case, I'd have to side with the dealer... (Unless it was a "we'd prefer to only have shop X here, but we're somewhat flexible on that"... then it might be a different story) but it's kinda hard to tell from the brief story here.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

If I have left anything out, someone please chime in, that knows about this.
Thanks.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 06:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I can really see it from both sides. Yes the dealer needs to watch out for shop X. But I think that the dealer is making a huge mistake. It would be great business for them to have a show. All those people in their lot, looking at jeeps. They have to potentual to sell some Jeeps as a result. If I were the dealer I would say yes, my guy needs to have the biggest and best booth, but it is fine to have others there also. The more people that are here the better. And if the dealer had half a brain they would try and hook up with the other shops that would be there. Having one good connection is great, but having more than one is better. Just reproves the point that most dealers are just plain out to lunch.... ALL the time. I hate dealing with dealers.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 06:24 AM

Bald One is right. It sounds like the club reluctantly agreed to have only the dealer's preferred shop. Reluctant or not, they agreed. Shame on them for trying to change the event at the last minute.

I would think that the dealer, the preferred shop, the club and the other dealers would ALL be better off with a bigger show that would draw more attention to EVERYBODYS wares, but that's not a decision for the club to make. Especially after the negotiations are settled.

The club has the obligation to go to the other vendors and withdraw the invitations. They'll look bad to the vendors, but it's the only honorable course of action. The dealer has gone out of his way to prepare for the event, as has their vendor. They should not be put out because of the club's loose operation.

Then the club should do as others have suggested and hold another event in a park or some other neutral location, with everyone invited - dealers, off-road shops and vendors.

And they should do their level best to draw crowds to BOTH events.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 06:34 AM

Since the club agreed to the "rules" that the dealer set up that said that there was to be only one 4x4 shop at the event, the club screwed up. The club should have never agreed to the "rules" if they didn't intend on following them.

That being said, I feel that you could do better having the event at a neutral site as stated above and invite whoever you want to attend.

Ken
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 07:04 AM

Bad dealership...bad bad bad dealer weelreship. What a bunch of crap. If the club agreed with it, it's done. But if the 4x4 shop doesn't put out one hell of a spread I'd be pissed. I've been to shows with no vendors. The door prizes were Wally world clearance items! still a good show. later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode