Help!!! Tranny problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Help!!! Tranny problems

I have an 81 Cj with a 350 and a T176 4 speed. Well today when I was driving I couldnt get it in gear but I was able to get where I was going. Then I was getting ready to leave and I was trying to put it in first and It felt like I was hitting a wall. I couldnt get it in any gear at first then I was able to get it in third but trying to go to another gear it felt like it popped out of socket or something. I could twist the stick in a circle and it move it all around. So I had to leave the jeep. Has anyone had a problem like this? Does it sound like an easy fix. Im just trying to get an idea before I have to call a tow truck and and spend money on getting it fixed. Im getting ready to sell it, because I need money for my other jeep. Please Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 05:22 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: Help!!! Tranny problems

This one's easy. Pull the floor cover plate over the tranny/t-case. In the tranny tower, where the shifter fits, there is a tapered dowel pin on each side. One hase come loose. If you are lucky, it's still laying right on top of the cover. Remove the shifter by pressing down on the retainer ring and turning. Replace the pins and put a hose clamp around the tower to hold the pins in. Reinstall the shift lever.

DON'T HAVE IT TOWED, not until you search for the pin anyway. I don't know if you would have any luck finding a new one without going to mail order.

From your description, you may also have the warn shiftgate problem. If you make clean H pattern shifts, you can live with it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 05:24 PM

it sounds like the squarish ball part of the bottom of hte shifter stick has come out of one or both of the shift rails.

you can take the cover off ( thru te floorboard) and readjust and put it back inside the rails like it should be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Yea, thats kind of what I thought Happened too. Thanks fellas. I'll check that out tomorrow.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

When i first bought the jeep the guy told me it was a T-176 so I just [censored] u me d it was but I got to lookin and found out its a SR-4 because it has "Borg Warner" and "Ford" stamped accross it. I dont know if this would make a difference in what you told me but I took off the 3 bolts that hold the shifter in and the whole thing came right out. Should it do that?? I can line the fork at the end of the shifter with the shift rod and go through the gears, but the shifter will sometimes twist and come out, like it did before. So should there be a pin or something that should go through the stick shift, to keep it from twisting. Looks to me like if the shifter wouldnt twist it would work. But im not sure if there is a pin because Im looking in a quadratec mag, at the parts break down and they dont list anything for the shifter part. Any suggestions????
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 09:50 AM

the PIN if it has one ( it probably does) is where the shifter meets the top of the trans cover, there is a half moon that rest on the cover, and the pin should be on one side of that into the shaft.

im not fameliear with that trans though, so above info might not be accurate.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 06:37 PM
Can't Get Enough

Matt, how is the body? any rust? I may be interested in buying it..send me an e-mail.
Thanks, Ricky...seeya..
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode