wanna buy a cheap jeep - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

wanna buy a cheap jeep

hi all i snuck over from the suzuki forum, to see how you guys live your lives, i own a modified suzuki removable doors suspension lifts over size tires and such, but still i have this craving for a jeep, a real jeep,what should i look for, im not to picky on dings dents stuff like that
but it needs to be enconomical as a daily driver, any help out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 01:30 PM
Veteran

Re: wanna buy a cheap jeep

how much money do you want to spend (cheap is good, but how cheap), and what do you want to do with it... type of offroading, projected mods, etc.

and jeeps are not economical (but again that depends on your definition) :-)

-web
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 01:36 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

In what way do you want it to be cheap? Do you want a cheap base price, which will inevitably include a lot of money fixing it up, or do you want a cheaper than new Jeep that doesn't need much work, but still affordable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

other than being a daily driver, i need it to go fishing in and bird hunting,and camping, i rather explore jeep trails and ghost towns than rock crawling or mud bogging, and the mods probably just a few inches of lift, bigger tires not to big though, and a winch, i travel alot of trails and oil field roads, nothing to rough until it rains, and like i said itll be a daily driver so i dont want to go broke on fuel, at the moment i got about 1500 to play with
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

a cheap base price, most mods i do myself, and the other stuff ill do as my budget allows,
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 01:57 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I'm assuming that you are wanting a short-wheelbase Jeep? $1500 can get you an old CJ with a lot of body or frame rust if not both. Maybe someone here has seen a good CJ for that price, but I have not. Any YJ in that price range will probly have some major problems. Anyone else want to comment? I'm no authority on this so some help would be great.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 02:03 PM
Veteran

yup, pretty much not gonna find a yj in that price range unless it is wrapped around a tree. most cj's you find for that are going to be pretty ragged as well, though you may get lucky. i paid $2000 for the my first 78 cj-5 (engine was ragged, body was shot though well camoufalged), i paid $3500 for my 73 401 cj-5 that was in great shape, paid too much for my 95 xj and yj, and lucked out at $2500 for my new 78 cj-5 that is in awesome shape (though the previous owner was told by his wife that either the jeep or the harley had to go and quick so that may have helped). so pretty much for $1500 you may get lucky, but you're gonna have to look hard and be patient. just remember engines and drive lines are cheaper and easier than frames and bodies usually.

go dig in some of the boneyards in socal, you may get lucky there.

-web
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 02:22 PM
MaineJeep

I got an 87 YJ, 105,000 miles, auto, 258, hardtop/bikini, alloy wheels and good 225x75R all terrain tires for $500. Another $500 for a good frame rust repair (only rotted at the rear shackles)and a little body patching behind the doors. An additional $500 for miscellaneous stuff and an exhaust system and now I've got a decent Jeep that looks fair and runs great.

The deal was it wouldn't come close to passing emissions in Massachusetts, so I got it cheap and we don't have any testing in Maine. So I TR'd and Nuttered it, and got rid of all the nasty hoses and junk that were probably making it run like a total POS. I can see how it would be really easy to go nuts dumping lots more money into it though, tires, lift, gears, and on and on.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 02:53 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

other than being a daily driver, i need it to go fishing in

<hr></blockquote>

How are you going to make it float.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode