Holley Projection Kit On AMC 360.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Holley Projection Kit On AMC 360..

Well anyinfo here would be great. I originally was going to get a truck avenger carb, but a friend just did the projection and says it works great so far. I think they go for 800 new but I have seen several used for 2-5 hundred. Here are a few questions I have come up with.
1. When you install the inline fuel pump does the kit come with a plate to cover where the mechanical went or do you make one?
2. How many sensors are there to hook up and is the wiring simple?
3. I have a 2bbl intake, Do I need to switch to a 4bbl intake? I noticed it is a 2bbl tbi unit but didn't know what it was made to fit.
4. Does anyone have any complaints with the system? Should I try getting a used one or does someone know the cheapest place to get a new unit. thanks for the help

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 01:01 PM
Veteran

Re: Holley Projection Kit On AMC 360..

most people i have know who have tried the projection have had more problems than it is worth. on that note there are several other options...

http://www.customefis.com/

http://www.affordable-injection.com/

both of them will put together a tbi system for you for a good price, i know that john (customefi) does quality work and stands behind his products. you can also do the ghetto or junkyard tbi. yes you will pay a bit more than 2-500 bucks, but you know that it's gonna work, parts will be easy to find, and if you need any help its there :-) I got my tbi and ecm off of ebay and am getting the rest of the parts from howell, total cost of about $700, though that is for the 258.

-web

I was going to do the whole thing myself, but ran into some problems finding a harness. if you can find a good harness you can save a ton of money and probably do it for under $500.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 01:59 PM
Official Historian

I'll share my experience with it so far.

It went on in a couple hours. Instructions are clear and good. Everything fit without a problem. You need a four barrel intake manifold. I already had an edelbrock on mine. It comes with a fuel pump block off plate but it is the same as the SBC. Don't tighten it down too much, it threads into the aluminum timing cover. The only sensors that have to be installed are an O2 sensor in the exhaust and a temp sensor. The edelbrock manifold had an empty hole at the back of the manifold that worked for me.

You have to connect it to the ignition system to get it's trigger. I have an MSD and connected it to the tach output per the instructions. You also have to connect it to a switched ignition source that is also hot when cranking. A few minutes with a meter under the dash and I found one. You will need 3/8" fuel line for the supply and at least 5/16" for the return.

Problems:

I've had 3 injectors go bad all replaced under warranty. It is only a one year warranty though.

I had the TPS go bad. Holley said they don't like to get wet. I never submerged it but did wash it a few times at the car wash.

I can't adjust it lean enough to get to 0.5 volts on the O2 sensor when running down the road. It is steady at 0.9 volts. I've tried to adjust the fuel pressure but haven't had any luck yet.

On the good side, it starts on the first crank ALWAYS. It stays running until I turn it off no matter what angle its at (automatic trans).

If I were doing it again, I'd probably get a Howell but it has worked most of the time for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks for the help. Like everything I guess there will be some who like it and some that dont.
Is it worth it to run the stock 4bbl intake or should I go all out and get the edelbrock performer. If it is going to be the same difference then I would like to just save the money.

I did find a kit brand new for $500 So Since that Is a great deal I might get it. Mike
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 08:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My unit has never left me stranded, I like it. It is the old Chevy-Dodge-Ford debate, it is according whom you talk to.

I've heard good things about the Howell unit also however I have never compared prices of the two.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I found a good write up if anyone else is interested. http://www.angelfire.com/wi/mikeswwwsite/fuel.html

I also thought of a few more questions. I know no one has the exact answers but I am looking for ball park.
How many hp would an edelbrock aluminum intake add? 10-15??
How many hp would I gain from the projection 15-25??
What do you think a like new stock 360 with headers, the tbi, aluminum intake would get for hp?

And no its not just the power I am concerned with I mainly want the kit for offroad, the power is just a bonus.
mike
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 01:39 AM
FrenchJeeper

Hello...

I have an AMC 258 with a 390cfm Holley and a Clifford intake. I wanted to upgrade this to a more powerfull and reliable set up.I though of the Howell, then the Mopar, then the Holley and then someone told me about CustomEFI. I went on different Jeep website to have as much feed basck as possible on this guy and i am waiting for my kit to arrive. Every where i asked about him the answer were the same " this guy is great and will always try to help if you need some advice, you can go with him...".
Sure the price may be a bit more than Holley but my igbition curve will be managed by the ECM (with an add on to control it from the inside of my car), the chip is burned to fit my actual set up and not for totally stock engine, i can plug my PC to it to check everything...
One more thing, when it comes to spend money i can be a real a$$hole, asking thousands of question and mods (can you make this wire longer, put a blue diode instead of a red one for the engine light???!!!...) and this guy never let me down, he always hit his "reply" buttom to give me all the info i ask for...
Well, summary: "this guy his great, his kits seems to be very reliable, his customer service his great and the kit his made with GM parts, very easy to find some spare parts!!!"
Good luck with your mod
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 02:20 PM
SPRUCE

The fuel pump block off plate I believe is a BBC. I think the BBC plate has 2 holes where as the SBC has 4 holes. When I put mine on I used it to run the hole for my distributor gear oiling upgrade. I did not want to worrie about shavings getting into my engine by drilling the timing chain cover from the top.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 02:54 PM
Official Historian

My bad then. I know it has two holes but I just assumed the SBC was the 2 hole and the big block used the 4 hole. Oh, well.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 05:41 PM
Old Hand

Been running the Holley Pro-jection on my J20 "360" for 7 yrs. Have had some problems....one injector went bad after 2 yrs. ( Dodge Dakota 318 uses same size) got replacement from UAP ( Echlid ?). Wiring is straight forward and simple... didn't use fuel injection hose clamps, just regular stuff and kept blowing them til upgrade. Went through a fuel pump in 2 yrs. Other than that, it's a little tricky to set up initially ( 2 guys on road test, one to watch timer and tach settings) I used a high performance 4 bbl ( required ) aluminum intake manif. that is readily avail. through MOPAR performance cat. It starts first time every time even at -30C and can be driven away as soon as trans. is ready. Lots of power ...will squeal my 16.5" lug tires even though it's an automatic. Throttle response is about the same as a 4.0 L Jeep XJ. Not dino tested but would guess 40-60 hp. That's all on an engine that has plowed snow for 16 yrs and has 180,000 kms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode