Idea for 9/11, show who you are - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 08:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Idea for 9/11, show who you are

I saw this suggestion on the POR bbs, and thought it was a hell of a great idea. Since we are all Americans and proud of it, lets not hide behind screen names this week, let everyone see who you really are. We can't change our screen names with this bbs software, but you can put your real name in your signature, the full name, not just a nickname or first name. I've always had my first name in mine, added my last name just now. Stand up and be counted! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 08:35 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: Idea for 9/11, show who you are

I thought it was lax security that allowed 9/11 to happen in the first place. Why provide information to the world that is not necessary? I'll just remain as Taz.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 09:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This isn't a security issue, its a matter of being proud of who you are and what you are, unless of course you have something to hide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 09:14 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I`m with you on this one Taz . On the side I do a lot of computer work / home Network setup`s etc... The first thing Internet providers do for thier newbie clients is give them an email address and 99% of the time its the person`s full name with the @???.com . Man thats the first thing I change for them . Maybe to paranoid , but I feel better without my last name being out on the Net ` . There are a lot of dark corners on the net and once you find a persons last name , then thier SS# and then look out .

Jeff
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 09:15 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

If anyone wanted to know who I am bad enough they could find it. I don't care too much if someone gets ahold of my first and last name. However I am not going to put it in my sig since doing so will make no difference. I don't think Osama will be checking the Jeep Shortwheelbase BBS to count us. Something we should all do though, is drive with our headlights on, and heck since we are Jeepers why don't we all take our tops and doors off and be Jeepers!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 09:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Maybe I'm just not as paranoid as you guys, and my name is all over the net due to my land use activist activities, I've even had death threats due to that line of work. And btw, if anyone wants to they could find anything out about anyone on here with just the info at hand in just a few minutes if you know what you are doing. Not putting your name up will not stop that, and anyway Osama is already on here, he goes by "manwhosleepswithgoat".
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 09:52 PM
Official Curmudgeon

I've got plenty to hide. My bank account #, my credit card #, my SSN. My name is as unique as my Jeep, I'm the only one in the world. Everybody that has my last name is a relative from two brothers who married two sisters. They were my grandmother and grandfather, great aunt and uncle.

As far as death threats, I'm a firm believer that you never kill somebody for what they have done, only as a measure to prevent what they are going to do. When somebody gets killed, it's over for them. If you want to really cause them problems, you get their identity and get a bunch of credit cards in their name, or better yet, get them DECLARED as deceased.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 10:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

so if we choose not to post our real name then we are hiding something? that's real american...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 11:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well after reading all that........IM GLAD I'M AN AUSSIE.....lol
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 11:12 PM
Old Hand

Sorry to say I`m with Taz, while I don't mind displaying my 1st name the rest of it I would prefer to keep private, and/or harder to find out...

Once your name starts appearing online people can use regular ol` search engines (google/yahoo) to start finding where your name appears, and what you are associated with..

That's my 0.02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode