Off Roading Forums banner

92 wrangler...

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Olin18 
G
#1 ·
Well i have came across a 92 wrangler, 6cyl, 5 speed manual, 4.0 with a 3inch lift and 33inch tires. He wants 4,000 for it. I called and he said it has 150,000 miles on the frame and body, has a newer engine in it. He said it has no visable rust if any very little. Also he said its notchy while shiftin into 3rd gear and it has a little oil leak. Thats easy to fix but about the trans..... Does this seem to be a good deal?

#3 ·
Take a look at it. We paid $4000 for our 75k mile 4 popper, no rust, soft top, bikini, deck cover, and wind jammer. Our 92 has developed the funky 3rd geard shift..what the hell is it? I THINK there may be a leak in the transmission line somewhere, where should i look?

I'd try to talk him down anyway, if he wont budge, thats ok, but you could try to save yourself $500 dollars or so...

G
#4 ·
Yea i was thinkin it was a great deal. Cuz i'm lookin to upgrade alot of the stuff like the tranny. I just gotta talk about it with my dad cuz i only got like 1k and i need him to loan me money. He said he would help pay for a car. He seemed interested into the jeep though cuz hes like call and find the info about it befor we go out there and find its junk...lets pray its still there !!!!!!

G
#5 ·
I paid considerably more for my '90 four popper 3 years ago with 90k on the odo. But then, the thing had a brand new set of AT's and a new Tigertop on it and looked like it had less than 10k on it. Even the framerails (inside and out) were somewhat glossy, all the wiring was very neatly bundled, new exhaust, etc. I bought the gem, ripped off the front mudflaps (cheapo Pep Boys items) and had at it. First and foremost, check EVERYWHERE for rust, especially at the base of the rollbar behind the seats. Check for holes in the fenderwells, etc made by someone mounting speakers there. Steth the motor for funny sounds you can't usually hear (done with a long dowel or broomstick) like sticky lifters (minor), loose rockers (usually minor) or bottom end ticking (don't even buy it). Take the broomstick and press it against the valve cover. Should sound like a QUIET sewing machine. Put it along the camshaft at various points (runs perpindicular to the base of the distributor). Should be a whirring sound. Lay on the ground and put it against the oil pan. Again, should whir. If ANY abnormal whistling or ticking comes from the oil pan, move on and find another Jeep. Trust me, that stuff gets EXPENSIVE (from experience). Those who don't know will think you look dumb with your ear up against the end of a stick, but those who do know (like your dad) will know how smart you are. Good luck, and I enjoy seeing a newer generation getting into Jeeps for more than just cruisin (I'm 20, and I was the new guy once).

#6 ·
Dixee, that is such a great idea. I have actually never heard of that before. I have heard of using a stethescope which will do the same thing, but the dowel is a lot cheaper and cooler. Another tip is to look at where it is parked and look for spots on the ground beneath it. Obviously any dark spots are leaks. Also check the tread on the tires. Look to see how they are wearing. If there a tire is not wearing evenly then there is an alignment problem. Fixing that can be cheap, but it can also be expensive depending on what is wrong. If you can, get all 4 tires wet and drive it in a straight line down the road. See how many lines show up on the pavement. If there are 4 lines then the frame is bent. Obviously you don't want to buy a Jeep or any other vehicle with a bent frame. And see if the seller will let you take it to a mechanic. Its a very reasonable request and if they won't honor it I'd be suspicious. And one last thing, if you are going to test drive it on a tollway, remember to bring toll money. When I test drove my CJ we did that and my dad and I quickly realized neither of us had any money to pay the tolls. They were all unmanned so we slowly drove through and waved at all 4 cameras. Oh well, I've paid every toll since.

#7 ·
If you are thinking about upgrading the trans then I wouldn't worry about the noise. But if you are planning on keeping it, be careful, That is an early warning sign that the trans needs to be looked at. It is the syncros going bad. If it has over sized tires then the problem will probably get worse pretty fast

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.