Welding on Dana 60 cast housing....? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 04:41 PM
thillsam

Welding on Dana 60 cast housing....?

Here's a fabrication question that I need answered, as all the theory and numbers I learned in school never seems to be able to substitute for good ol' experience.

I'm contracted to design and construct suspension under my buddy's 52 CJ. W'eve managed to locate a rear Dana 60 full width axle and while Iv'e built several 2-, 3- and 4-links before, they were all with Ford 9" housings, with the 3rd member removed.

My question is this: Do I need to use a special filler rod to weld toweres and such to the cast(IRON? nodular or gray or what?) center section of the housing? Or can I just get away with pre- and post- heating with a torch? I will probably be MIG welding them, but can TIG it if necc. with high nickel rod or the like.

Anybody ever have the housing warp too bad so as to bother bearing bore alignmant or anything?

I see other people getting away with it all, but I was just curious. None of this will be repair or anything, just modification.

Thank for your opinion!

Tim Hillsamer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 05:58 PM

Re: Welding on Dana 60 cast housing....?

i've never had a problem welding to the casting myself, BUT i've heard from the more knowledged that it's not a good idea.........(i don't preheat or anything)
anyway i've seen a few hi-dollar designs that incorperate bolting on a mounting plate. (
i'm debating/planning a 60 rear, which i'm going to machine a flat surface on the top of the housing, and drill and tap 4 holes. then weld a bracket to each tube outboard of the diff casting.........and finally construct a bracket (for both upper control arms) that bolts to these 3 mounting points.

just my thoughts.............[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 10:45 AM

I have nevr biult anything like you have, but from a welders standpoint, I personally would preheat, and use a 309 rod(lincoln arc makes a good one, blue max) or talk to a welding supply shop about what you are doing and they may have a similar nickel alloy type of rod better for that use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 04:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have never tryed to weld to a axle houseing but I understand that atleast some Dana axles used cast Steel housings and not cast iron. I have no idea which the D-60 is. Here is a link to some good welding info that may even have a test to tell what the base metal is.<a target="_blank" href=http://www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/tc/9-237/toc.htm>http://www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/tc/9-237/toc.htm</a>

bandhmo
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 05:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You should be able to weld to the cast steel housing...DO NOT MIG WELD...use a soft steel rod..6011 6013...mig wire is too brittle 70,000 psi tensil strength...it will crack when cooling...when you arc weld it...take a medium ball peen hammer and stress relive the weld...( hitting it firmly to flatten weld down...) after every pass..use gussets to reinforce any excessive stress areas...and good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode