CJ 5 shift pattern - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

CJ 5 shift pattern

hi all. i just bought my first jeep(also fist 4 wheel drive vehicle), a 74 CJ5. no pics yet, or id post em. kinda rusty, kinda beat up, but hey, its a jeep. my question is, what is the shift pattern for my 4 wheel drive?. the knob is too worn to read, and the shifter has 4 positions. i suppose i could jack it up and see what each does, but thought it best to ask for help. anything would be helpful, including general info on jeeps and CJ5s. thanks for everything. sparky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 03:02 PM

Re: CJ 5 shift pattern

4Hi is all the way forward, then 2Hi, then Neutral, and 4Low all the way back. Check it, though, because you never know what someone might have done to it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 03:26 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I know someone will say it so I guess I can do it...please fill out your profile. It helps more than you can think. Find out what mods have been done to the CJ if any. Keep reading this board and you'll learn very quickly. The shift pattern previously mentioned is the stock settings. I have a 2 Low on mine, and have 5 spots to shift it in, but for all you know the previous owner of your CJ had changed some things around. Congrats on buying a Jeep and although there may be times when you just want to push it off a cliff, don't, just keep telling yourself its a classic car and needs loving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 04:15 PM

It's NOT a CAR, Nick. Classic or otherwise. Shame on you [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 04:27 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Oooops!!!! How did I type that?!? Shame on me!!! I appologize to all who I may have offended.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 06:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

by rights you should have a dana 20 transfercase in it....and it should shift forward to back - 4H-2H-N-4L -
but mine is the same as nicks , it also has 2L....aparently this is a (handy)factory fault...after a little wear the linkage allows 2L to be selected also .....mine is
4H - 2H - N - 2L - 4L ......if you cant get it in 4L check to see if the shifter is hiting the floor(a common problem) ..also you say that this is your first 4x4...just a friendly warning - never put it in 4wheel drive when on dry pavement,the reson for this is ,when you do a turn(even a small one)the front wheels travel slightly further than the back ones ,and in 4x4drive the front is locked into the back,so something must give , usually its just a tyre spin but sometimes you'll break an axle or a uni etc. i learnt the hard way , i did a about 1/4 of a turn on pavement(to see if 4x4 was working,first time i ever tried) and it was enough to destroy my rear diff......
welcom good luck..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 07:34 AM

Melcor, your right about that shift pattern. The interesting thing is that in my transfer case, it was like that brand new, or at least with only a few thousand miles.

I'm always careful about using it because I suspect that everything might not be fully engaged, and because it would be possible to put a terrible load on the rear drive train.

The best use I've found for it is maneuvering trailers around. The low speed makes up for my lack of practice [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode