Battery CCA's? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-05-1999, 12:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Battery CCA\'s?

I'm without my jeep manual, can anyone tell me the recommended (not the book, but by what experience tells you) the recommended CCA's for a battery in a 4.0l jeep? My 7 year old STOCK (geez, the guy before me probally never took this thing off-road) is about to fizzle out. I'm not running any whinches or lights right now, so I don't need a top of the line battery, just a temp replacement. (Had to say that for all the Optima guys out there. )

-Brian
93 YJ, 4.0L, Tuffy'ized interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-05-1999, 01:09 PM

Re: Battery CCA\'s?

Auto Zone sells a good replacement battery, thier Gold series works very well and has CCA's to spare, 650. This will work even with a winch and lites. for about $48.00 to $65.00 depending on which battery you get and they have a 2 year free replacement warranty.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]Sheees! I sound like a damn commercial[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

Jim

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-05-1999, 01:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One problem I've had over the years is the plates busting loose inside the battery due to the Jeep bouncing around and it shorting out. The best battery I ever had for longevity was a Delco SA (Special Applications). The "Optima Guys" will tell you one big advantage of a gel filled battery is that they can't be hurt by vibration as easily.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-05-1999, 02:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is anyone trying the "dry cell" types, Oddessy and Black Panther? I've seen the install at Off-Road.com.

Non compis mentis.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-05-1999, 02:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Battery CCA\'s? AMP Hrs?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Hey, aren't we comparing apples and oranges here? Cold Cranking Amps don't run winches, AMP Hours do. You can get a micro-dot battery that has a real blast of Amperage for ten seconds and will crank a Caddy with a ton of stuff on it, but it won't run the dome lights for six hours. I ran electric hoists on service trucks for years, and we always looked for deep cycles and lotsa plates for that job...plus cranking the rig up of course... So be sure that you are buying something that can hold out for a long time IF you have high-AMP draws for long periods. I know the original poster mentioned that he had just normal equipment, but I just thought it might be noteworthy in case someone else was looking at batteries as well.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Cold Crank Amps is one thing, and AMP Hours are something quite different.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-05-1999, 09:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The colder your winter, the more CCA's you need. When it gets down to -30,-40 I need a 850 CCA battery, just my experience and I won't buy anything less. Southern states can get by with less CCA's. I too had the problems with the busted battery plates from vibration. One day I went up to the mountains, shut off the jeep, got out for a few hours, got back to the vehicle and no start. Managed to push it down a hill (dumb luck, parked at the top) and it started. Parked it in the driveway at home, shut it off, tried to restart and it wouldn't. Voltmeter read 12V but when I disconnected it and brought it to the auto parts store, they tested it by putting it under a current load and it went down to 0.5V. So no wonder it wouldn't start, had to buy a new batter on the spot (or find hills to park on top of).

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-06-1999, 01:42 AM
Way Outta Control

Post deleted by LEVE

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-06-1999, 05:55 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Let me see now....I've been seriously wrenchin' for at least fourty years; have pulled and/or installed at least 200 batteries; have bought and paid for at least 100 of those; and I had NO IDEA[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] that those formulas EVEN EXISTED! This page is AMAZING. The things that we learn here![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] LEVE has a gift for making the incredibly complex simple. I am downloading this to my Jeep Tech File. Thanks, Larry for opening our little Jeep eyes[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] to the wide world of batteries![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 03:28 PM
Can't Get Enough

What about Deep Cycle Marine Batteries? Any thoughts?

Walter X

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 07:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Let's see now.....taking what I have just learned from LEVE's post, it looks like the deep cycle marine battery is not proper for a direct-start application. You would use a battery like a deep cycle marine battery as an auxillary battery to run lights and stuff while parked, and when you got ready to go, you would crank up with a different battery which had been isolated from the lights and stuff while parked, and upon start-up the oil pressure would rise, closing a switch which would close a solenoid and the Deep Cycle MArine Battery would be patched into the system to recharge while you drove home. That is the usual application for DSMBs, and a real good setup if you have stuff to run and don't want to risk running the crank battery down. My 1974 Ford pickup CAME like that because we ordered it for the old-style heavy-draw two-way radios. That pickup came with one deep cycle marine battery for the radio circuit, and one master blaster to crank the engine with.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode