Little lift...? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 09:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Little lift...?

Hey guys (and I say that indiscriminantly)...

Once again, I'm a Jeep rookie-ish type, and I'm looking to give my little TJ a bit of a lift. I mentioned once before the idea of coil-spacers and this was met with approval, but as for tires and stuff...how much would I be paying? I'm looking to get 31"s (probably BFG's) and I need to get new shocks. How much would a set of five tires go for? Where should I go to get them? Any shocks-for-lifts recommendations? Thanks so much, as always!

Love,
Ashley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 11:11 AM

Re: Little lift...?

The 2" spacers are a good route. I have the trail master 2" spacer kit on my jeep. I didn't buy the kit new and probably wouldn't pay as much as they want for it. As for shocks i have the trail master shocks (not the ssv's) and i like them, they are a little firmer than stock and let me run with out my sway bars and not get a ton of body roll. You can do a search about shocks, it's been discused before or start a new post just about shocks. BFG's arn't bad tires for a daily driver either the mt's or at's, i've run the at ko's and they arn't a bad tire for wheeling and on the road they are nice and wear like iron. I much prefer my super swamper sx's for wheeling though. To find cheeper tires start crusing your local clubs web pages to find used sets of tires. Call around to your local tire shops to see how much the tires you want are from them mounted and ballanced vs. how much it would cost to order them from a company, pay the shipping and then take them to the local tire shop to get them mounted and ballance. I found that it was much cheeper to get my wheels from a local tire shop them to get them shipped to me. Here's some web sites of different companies that sell 4x4 parts and tires. Not all the web pages have everything they sell or are updated but they will give you a good starting point.

www.rustysoffroad.com
www.ntwonline.com
www.tyres1.com

BarrelRoll
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 01:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Little lift...?

The 2" spacer lift allows my wife's Sahara to fit 33" nicely. In fact they fit without the lift ..but it sure looked funny. You can get the spacers and bumpstops individually from most outfits for around $95 ..but many of the alleged 2" spacers are really 1 3/4" ...which can be had for around $68 from JCW or other sources. All the shocks that I've seen (I didn't buy shocks at the same time) appear to fall in excess of the "kit" form of the spacer lifts that everyone offers. That is, the kits are $299 +/- and you get shocks ..bump stop extensions and the spacers ..but if you pay $95 for the bump stops and spacers ..you aren't going to find offered shocks (the ones featured by the same vendor) for under $50 each. This is not to say that the $60-70 shocks aren't superior to the ones offered in the spacer kits ...just that you're going to lay out more money.

Since you're working on a budget (aren't we all ..some are bigger ..some aren't) you may consider going with a non LT rated tire. The jeep is relatively light compared to the pickups and other suv's that share its tire size ..at least in required capacity.

A 235/75r15 is as tall (taller in some brands) then a 30 x 9.50r15 ..and is only 1 1/2" shorter than the 31" ..yet is almost $45-60 cheaper then a 31" ..and they will be able to work on your stock rims (6-8")

Go here and search out the various size differences hit the "specs" field and usually you can see the different diameters and required rim widths.
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.tirerack.com/tires/SearchTires.jsp>http://www.tirerack.com/tires/SearchTires.jsp</a>

Just giving you some options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode