Good TJ Rearend swap?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Good TJ Rearend swap??

My buddy blew up his rearend in his '99 TJ a few weeks ago. The carrier sheered right into two. It's time to upgrade. He's wanting to eventually run 39" Boggers, and doesn't want to plop money into axles just to replace them with bigger ones later. So, now we need to figure out what to swap into it. He wants something wider than stock as he's already rolled it. He's thinking full width, or atleast around 5" wider than stock. How hard is it to put full width under a TJ? Is it possible? Can we just have the brackets welded on and be ready to go, or is there more? And I assume there's more. He's got some leads on a couple 14 bolts. I told him to find a 14 bolt out of a duallie chevy, 64" right? Will he be unhappy with this rearend? The bad thing is, this is going to have to go in stages, so he'll be running around 31's on a 14 bolt until he gets to the lift Yeah, I know, we're doing it backwards!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 10:39 PM

Re: Good TJ Rearend swap??

I swapped an 8.8 rear into my TJ but really only plan on running 36's on it and then building a different project with 1 tons and bigger tires. The CC 14 bolt would be a good swap though they are 8 lug and about 1.5" wider a side so his rear will stick out a fair amount more than the front. My buddy just put a ford 10.25 in his bronco, that thing is beefe with 35 spline 1.5" shafts and inbetween a d70 & 80 in size, i think his was 65" wide. I would pull out the grinder and shave as much off as possible to gain back some clearance though he's going to be draggin it a lot. I think it' would be almost imposable to convert to 5x4.4" bolt pattern so he would have to get 8 lug wheels and carry 2 spares. Rubicon express sells bracket kits for 60's and i assume they would work on 14 bolts, i'd also check and see if more makes bracket kits that will work, i have their brackets on my 8.8 and they are really beefe.If he's already rolled he seems like he's seems cool, i love people that beat the sh!t out of their "new" rigs.

BarrelRoll
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Anyone else got some ideas or opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 07:25 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Um, have him rebuild the current axle while he looks for the 14 bolt and fornt axle to match. If he's looking at running 39's, I'd go with a D60 front end, a D44 will be pushing it. AND, if he doesn't have the money right now for the lift/tires, etc, then he shouldn't even think about swapping in a 14B, there are all sorts of hidden costs associated with it (Master Cylinder size, brakes & bearings (need to be rebuilt?), shocks to dampen that puppy, the rim size, E-brakes, gearing, and the width (need flares to stay legal?). So, I'd look for a new carrier and have it setup again, and take it easy until he can swap something in.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

He just doesn't want to throw ANY money into this rear end. And a new carrier and gear setup will rund atleast $200, if not more. We don't have the tools to set it up, so that's really out of the question. I guess we could maybe buy the tools and do it, but I don't know. He definetly doesn't have the money right now for the lift and tires(that's around $4000 or so). I understand the master cylinder, but what about brakes and bearings? As for shocks, can't he just slap some on there and call it good? Rim size is easily fixed with some cheapie steely's. Gearing wouldn't matter as the 14b he's found has 4.10, and that's what he has. Width is still an issue, and I still haven't really heard what the deal is with full width axles under a TJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode