O/T Could this be my throttle position sensor(tps) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

O/T Could this be my throttle position sensor(tps)

this is on a 1989 dodge caravan with the 3.0 v6. The motor will run fine for a few minutes, then start bucking and jumping. It doesn't matter what speed I am going, accelerating or decelarating. sometimes it will be even die when I am coasting up to a stop sign, but it always starts right back up. I also noticed a little more what sounds like spark knock or detonation. I replaced the cap, rotor, MAP sensor, fuel filter....nothing helped. I just filled the van full of gas...any way bad gas could be causing this? any way to check the TPS?....thanks, Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 06:59 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: O/T Could this be my throttle position sensor(tps)

Humm.. You replaced the Computer, if I remember right. I thought that cleared things up?

I'd not think this is a TPS problem as it does it at all throttle positions. Have you checked the IAC or the EGR valve?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

yes, LEVE...i did replace the computer, but that was because of a no start problem, and it would die and not start back up. there are no codes in the computer. the van has ran great since I put the different computer in it, until now. do u know where the IAC and EGR valve is on my van, and how to test them? something that seems funny to me is why this started right after I filled it with gas? could be just coincidence, I guess...thanks again for your help, LEVE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 07:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I don't think he has an EGR valve on that engine ..at least the later model (like my 92) doesn't. My good friend "dorfs" explained to me that they use cam overlap to leave enough spent exhaust in the combustion chamber to cool the process.

Since you changed the fuel filter it tends to limit the bad fuel (as in dirty) ..are you sure that it isn't water? I guess your midwest location means that you're using an ethanol mix anyway.....I guess that would eliminate the H2O theory.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the help, guys....here is the latest. Last night I had some errands to run, so I stopped by the parts store and bought some injector cleaner and water remover, and put that in the tank. I drove the van around town doing my errands for about 10 minutes, and it only bucked and stuttered one time. am I saying it is fixed?.....after I drive it some more, I will know for sure, but that would have been just to easy if that's all it was [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]....will keep you posted....Ben
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 07:37 PM
I Do This For The Glory

When our TPS went, it would hitch at only one spot in the throttle, in any gear. The computer couldn't "see" the throttle position, so it'd buck and hitch, but we were easily able to drive the 60+ miles out of the North Maine Woods, so I'm happy.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Ok, here I am again. I drove the van some more tonight, and the problem is still there. can anyone tell me where the EGR valve is on this motor? My chilton's manual says there should be a tube running out of the exhaust to the intake, but I can't find it for the life of me. Also, is there a way to test the IAC, and where is it on the motor?...thanks again, Ben
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 10:28 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Put your hand near the exhaust outlet. Can you feel the individual cylinders fire? If not, I'd suspect clogged cat.

Easy test for the IAC, disconnect it.

Disconnect the O2 sensor and see if you get the same thing.

How long is the few minutes you mentioned?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 08:54 AM
Way Outta Control

1. The IAC is on the Throttle Body, under the TPS sensor.
2. Can't remember where (if) the EGR is...
3. I'll be cranking wrenches on the Caravans today so I'll take a look and get some ideas.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the help...I have been driving it around the last couple days, and here is some more things I noticed. at the 1st start of the day, the engine will start, idle up to about 1200 rpms, then either die or fluctuate from 800-1200 rpms for a couple seconds, then it will smooth out to normal idle. the bucking and jumping seems to happen at normal operating temp. thanks, Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode