My home made power tank - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

My home made power tank

I know it has been covered here before but incase you missed it; here's a link to another homemade power tank. It just happens to be mine [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.trailhed.com/powertank.html>***My Tank***</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 03:44 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: My home made power tank

Nice little setup, thanks for passing your info along. Where are you gonna bolt it down? Could be one hell of a bean buster!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 04:41 PM
cj80carr

Looks real good they come in handy.I use mine alot. I originally had my yellow coiled supply line running right into the regulator I found that if I was running it continuously that it would begin to frost up that plastic line. I was afraid it would get brittle and break .I noticed the power tanks have a piece of hose in between the regulator and the line. I made a one foot piece of oxygen hose up at work .You can get it made up at a welding supply co. It works great it absorbs the cold before it gets to your line. Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas. The hose does ice up but the it seems to stay flexable so I don't think it will be a problem. I will do some more testing before I take it on any trips.
I will probably mount it behind the passenger seat.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 09:46 PM

I have cracked the cheap Nylon hose coil hose in the past.
The better grade of Polyurethane coiled hose works very well.
Make sure you have extra connectors to repair the hose in your tool box, nothing worse than having a good air supply and no way to get it to your tires or tools.

Also it is a good idea to make an adapter from whatever quick connect you are running (Commercial or automotive) to the other one. In other words, if you are running a commercial style quick connect, use a commercial style insert, with an automotive style quick connect on the end. That way if your hose breaks, or if someone else needs to use your tank with their hose, you can just insert the adapter and your good to go. Its cheap and handy to have.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Great advice H8.
I have a couple of different styles of quick couplers I can carry with me or I can allways swap connectors to someone elses hoses. The hoses are 5.00 so maybe I will buy a few extra for the toolbox.

I didnít think of someone else needing the air so I will definitely make it as universal as possible. Also if someone else needs it, it is mobile so I can move anywhere it's needed.

Now I need to come up with a great idea for a mounting bracket. The place that sold me the bottle has them but I think I can build a better and stronger one myself. Also an adapter to my ARB air system would be a good idea although I will have to regulate the pressure down a little to make that work without blowing o-rings out of my lockers.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 10:06 PM

I have one of the fancy Power Tank holders on the back of my motorhome that is not being used anymore. If you want to pay the shipping, Ill unbolt it tomorrow and send it to ya on Monday.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Jeff you da man!
Check your email.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 12:13 AM

A note for future reference: "those fancy powertank holders" are really just DOT certified HD fire extinguisher brackets. I can get them all day for $25 in 5#, 10#, and 20# cylinders.

To mount to a rollbar, take 2 muffler clamps and drill the back of the bracket, install washers, done.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Bluesman,
This 20# tank seems to large to mount to my cage. I think it's going behind the passenger seat against the fenderwell.
Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode