Fordyce trail - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 10:02 PM
goose

Fordyce trail

I want to take a trip on the fordyce trail in Sept. but I'm not sure about the river flow and if I will be able to cross... I plan on going form HWY 80 to meadow lake. I have been down the trail from cisco grove but not down eagle lakes trail. any input would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 10:01 AM

Re: Fordyce trail

What size tires are you running?
The water is running at about 250 gps right now. It is crossable at the worst crossing (#4) with 33" tires, but expect to get wet and make sure to pick a good line.
When the river is running a 220 almost anyone can cross with no problems. I have made a couple of trips when the water was running at about 400 (with 36" tires) and once at 420 (with 38.50 tires) and it is a little scary to say the least. I have seen vehicles attempt the crossing at 450, but they turned into rafts.
I dont suspect the water will get above 250 for the month of September, but you may want to post the question on www.pirate4x4.com just before you go. there are a few people who can give you the actual flow for a specific weekend.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 01:29 PM
goose

Thanks for the info. I have 35's. That was my concern, I don't want to become a raft although it may be fun! I have been trying to find a site with the actual flows but have been unsucessful so far. If you know of a site or a phone number please post it. It sound like a acceptable rate would be in the 250 cfm (?) range.
Thanks again,
Goose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 11:14 PM

Goose,
I seen on the POR board that you are from Placerville.
I am just right down the road from you in Shingle Springs.
We ought to get together for a beer over at the Hangtown Saloon, or Poor Reds.
Are you planning to go to the CalROCS competition this month at Donner? Its gonna be a great event, the course is unbelievably brutal.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 10:32 AM
goose

H8, we have talked about going to hte calroc event but this may be the last chance to wheel this season. we plan on going on the fordyce trail the weekend of sept. 21. I think that is the same weekend of the calroc at donner. If the jeep trip doesnt work I will probable go to Donner. Things are kind of busy right now. See my future Jeep shop....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 01:11 PM

CalROCS is on the 28/29 of Sept.
There is also gonna be some Rock racing events held at the Fairgrounds outside PVille, in October and/or Nov. We have entered those events also.
If you can make the Donner event come on up and introduce yourself, my rig is not hard to notice out there.
Later,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode