Ring and Pinion in '99 TJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 09:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ring and Pinion in \'99 TJ

How difficult and expensive is it to install some new 4.56 gears into my TJ. It's got 3.73s so the same carrier assembly can be used, and the Trac Loc shouldn't be a problem. I've changed spider gears before without any major hang-ups but have no experience with ring and pinion gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 07:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Ring and Pinion in \'99 TJ

I will give you a quick run down. But if you do a search you will get more info.

You need some specitatly tools. The torque wrench is 250 bucks and that is for a cheap one. You will need a pinion depth tool and a dial indicator to set the back lash. Ask around and see if one of you buddies has done gears before if they did get them to help. The first gear setup you do, can make you go nuts. Having someone helping you the first time is a big help.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 12:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If you've got a D35 and D30 (which you should) is it that complicated? I swore that the two that I grunted on were much simpler. They use crush sleeves and all you do it tighten the pinion to the same torque as the old pinion bearing. That is, you may use 250 ft/lbs of torque to acheive the 25 in/lbs of resistance on the pinion preload (resistance to turning the pinion yoke).

The new ring and pinion are a matched set, and from what I observed, ..if you set the preload right the only thing that's critical from there on out is getting the tooth pattern correct. The guy I labored for (an "artiste") could set the backlash by feel ...but otherwise most use a dial indicator and lithium grease to see fi the ring gear is in proper orientaiton.

The units that I helped on (providing grunt force) were out of the vehicle. This made it easier to place the entire unit on jack stands and use a big pipe wrench to hold the yoke to start the crush sleeve "crushing". After that it's just GRUNT ..check .....GRUNT ...check ....GRUNT ....check.

This guy gets about $200 -$250 for this ..but he doesn't charge anymore if the axle is in the rig or delivered out of the vehicle (he apparently has his $$$ figure set for such fine work).

Again these were my "observations" ..and I'm open to anyone correcting what I've said here if they've got more authoritative input. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 09:14 PM
Journeyman

Unless you allready changed your gears, you should have the dana 44 rear(3.73 gears and trac loc). If this is the case then you will not be able to use the carier because the split is 3.73 and down(except TJ 4.11 gears, which will work on the lower carrier). Hope this helps. As for doing it yourself, the local race shops only charge $150 each and the tools alone are more than that.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 07:47 PM
I Do This For The Glory

TJ 4.11 gears on a lower carrier? I assume you are referring to the D35 and not the D44 right? Also, the D35 was available with the 3.73 gears and Trac-Lok, as well as the D44.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 07:34 AM
Journeyman

I am refering to the thin set dana 44, 4.11 gears used in the TJ so that Mopar didn't need to use 2 different carriers in the TJ 44. That is why everything listed for the TJ dana 44 is listed for 4.11 and down instead of the usual 3.73 and down/3.90 and up. You can use the normal 4.11 gears and standard 44 carrier in a TJ rear or any other acessories for the 44. They just wanted to save some money. What package did the 35 w/3.73 and trac-loc come with? I have never heard of 3.73 in anything other then the 44 in a TJ.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 07:34 PM
I Do This For The Glory

The TJ's had them, they could be ordered that way. THe D44 had a 4.11 option? I thought 3.73 was the highest they went. The 4.11's were only found under the 4 cyl TJ's, and they did not have the D44 as an option, or so I remember. Was the TJ D44 offered in a 4.11 gearset? If so, I have learned something new.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 11:44 PM

I'm with Jeepn on this one. The D44 to my knowledge did not come with 4.10s. Only the 4 banger had 4.10 gears and they only had the D35c. True, 3.73 gears were offered in the TJ with D35 but to my knowledge you could only get he lower gears if you had the auto tranny. Standard, D35c gears with 5 spd manual tranny behind the 4.0L was 3.07s. If you got the D44 then you got 3.73s.

The crush sleeve in the D30 according to the FSM must be torqued to 398 ft-lbs in order to crush it properly.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 12:36 PM

I've got the manual tranny, D35c and 3.73 gears - 98TJ, it came with the upgraded tire and wheel package. I just wish I had known about the D44 option when I bought it.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode