OT- It's Green and has two-cylinders! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

OT- It\'s Green and has two-cylinders!

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Yep, we got us a John Deere this last week! It was always my goal when we moved to the Midwest to "stable" the four letter model John Deere row crop tractors, the Little H, the BIG G, the popular Model B and the famous Model A. We just bought a 1952 John Deere Model A tractor, the very last of the "A" series. It has never been left outdoors, and is in great shape. I have some clutch work to do and a leaky water pipe on top of the engine that needs fixin', but that's about all. This John Deere is MODERN compared to what we had when I wuz a kid; this is ELECTRIC START, and actually has hydraulics![img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img][img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img][img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 08:56 PM

Re: OT- It\'s Green and has two-cylinders!

Weeell gee haw there Dave, you 'n tha missus 'r reeely getten tha Eye-o-way farmstead right set up now [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Is this one for work or for play?? Kinda cool when you can be your own tachometer and count the RPMs in your head isn't it?

Ken
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 08:13 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Yeah, but do you have the John Deere cap to go with it? Then you be "redneckin" in style!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 08:49 AM

Very [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Dave. i do like the sound of those 2 cyls. My brother in law has a couple of the restored that he takes to shows.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 09:28 AM
Way Outta Control

If I were JeepChick I'd be a little "worried" 'cuz I smell an affair in the wind... CJDave style... Man to Machine!.

So when do we get pictures of the new "tow" vehicle?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] This tractor is in such good shape that it would be an insult to it's fifty-year farming history to even think of doing a "show grade" restoration.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] This here's a workin' tractor and it's in workin' clothes just like I remembered them looking like when I used to spend all day on one. I'm desiging a small carryall scraper for it right now made out of the front end loader. The existing home made loader is so crude that it makes Alley Oop's axe look like a precision instrument by comparison, but by cutting here....welding there....adding some wheels here...we can make a nice little 1/3 yard carryall out of the loader. The local JD dealer has a nice JD #45 loader that fits this tractor that I'm looking at buying. the loader is an antique, just like this tractor is, and the thing is in great shape.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Jeepchick is a city girl and has NO IDEA what a tractor is all about. She doesn't know it yet, but she will be driving that Poppin' Johnny one of these days.[img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]I go out every day and start up that 329 cubic inch two-cylinder and just listen to it run. Max RPM is 975.[img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 03:22 PM

The sound of a JD two-holer takes me back 50 years. When I hear that sound I can smell straw and fresh-turned soil, and feel the summer sun on my face.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 03:56 PM

Agree'd LEVE.[img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

If I were JeepChick I'd be a little "worried" 'cuz I smell an affair in the wind... CJDave style... Man to Machine!.

<hr></blockquote>
I like the max RPM too Dave. I knew it was low but didn't know the numbers.[img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Thank God for a big flywheel, right?[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 06:18 PM
Mud in my Veins

Isn't the bore on those things something like 11 inches??? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Seems like I remember a friend of mine saying he used to stick his head into the cylinder to check for a ridge when they'd rebuild it. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Can you imagine how the flame front spreads across 80 square inches of combustion chamber? [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 06:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Just like a Jeeper...find a classic old piece of equiptment and use it as it was intended! Nice find Dave, my grandpa farmed in central Wisconsin his whole life and had some really cool old stuff. I was too young to appreciate the tractors back then, so I'm not even sure what he had, just old and cool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode