Need help: MC2100/2150 power valve adjust... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 06:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need help: MC2100/2150 power valve adjust...

'85 AMC 360

I took the carb off and then the cover, and the float bowl was almost empty. So I held the carb up and poured gas in the float bowl and watched where it came out the bottom - through the power valve.

So now I've diagnosed the problem. Can someone tell me how to fix it? And if I need a new valve, where do I get it and which one? The search came up with lots of different valve numbers and colors and stages and brands and stuff, but that's way over my head. I don't want performance - I just want the damn thing to work and maybe get better gas mileage. Oh, and I called NAPA and gave them the number off the tag. It didn't come up with anything. Maybe it's not the original tag?

Thanks!

Edit: After fiddling with it, I filled the float back up and it held, so I emptied it and sucked from the bottom of the power valve (any idea how bad gas tastes?). I then filled it back up again, and it leaked again. Bleh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 10:17 AM

Re: Need help: MC2100/2150 power valve adjust...

You definately need a new power valve. You should be able to call up the local napa/auto-jerks store and tell them roughly what the carb was originally on and they should be able to find one. If that doesn't work, e-mail me the carb numbers off the tag at [email protected] and I might be able to look it up at work on Monday for you... Also, be sure you get a new gasket for b/w the P.V. and carb and for the cover if possible.

HTH
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 11:11 AM
Official Historian

A rebuild kit for the 2100 isn't that expensive and comes with a new power valve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 12:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the repies, guys. I thought about the rebuild kit, but it probably wouldn't come with the right power valve. I finally got the part number from NAPA (long story), so I guess I'll drive the 40 miles to the store that has it in stock.

Once I get it, how do I change it out? How do I know how far to screw it in? It's a two stage, so it sticks out past the threaded part of the housing on both ends.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 05:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got the valve, and realized how easy it was to replace, as it comes with the housing and gasket. But when I fired the Jeep back up, it was idling at about 3,000 rpm. Too bad there's about 4 different ways to adjust the idle.

Anyway, I fiddled with it, and now it starts like a champ (no more long cranks) and I'm filling it up to see how far I get on a tank of gas. I wish I had done this before driving to central Florida from Louisiana!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode