New Rubicon or a Hummer H1? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 04:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New Rubicon or a Hummer H1?

I have been wanting a Hummer since 93' when they where released to the general public but could never afford one. Now things have changed but so has the price (now 100K instead of 50K) so I'm still a bit hesitant since I will stil want to add ARB's for an additional $2500 and will still have to finance it. Well now comes along this Rubicon (or so I've heard) and it's basically trail ready for around 30K. So which is better this new Rubicon or a Hummer H1 with lockers? Personally I still like the hummer because it seems it would be safer in general because of the weight (7000 lbs), wide stance and heavyduty sheet metal and driveline. But this weight and width I've heard also hurts the hummer on most narrow trails and in soft sand. Is the Jeep Rubicon gonna be a better performer off-road?

Currently I'm driving a 2000 F-350 6"lift and 38"ers with detriot in the rear and it's really fricken heavy and sloppy off-road but I can throw 2 pallets of concrete in the back? Oh well cant have it all. A awesome offroader with 80mph highway speeds which can still act as an occational mule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 04:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: New Rubicon or a Hummer H1?

Which is better really depends on what you like to do in the dirt - Neither the Hummer or Rubicon is exactly a dune goon, nor is either an out of the box mud monster. The Rubicon is certainly a better value, and would be my choice between the two based not only on price, but on the fact that I enjoy the narrow rock canyons and trails so prevalent in the southwest. Now to the catch - neither is really necessary to have fun. My mostly stock CJ5 can and has run right alongside much more esoteric and expensive rigs, and has walked right by a Hummer in the rock. Not to dismiss the H1's capabilities, but it's just too big for trail work, and too heavy for the high speed stuff.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 04:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks PugsleyCJ5, I was thinking the same thing about the weight. Plus when a hummer gets stuck only another hummer or 3/4 pickup stands a good chance of freeing you becasue of then wieght and lack of winch points in the desert. Now if I can only find a dealer in Vegas which has one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 04:29 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

There are a lot of used Hummers in the market now too. Try Ebay for an idea of price. How often will you take the vehicle off-road and what kind of off-roading will you be doing. Either vehicle will be hard to get stuck. Personally if I could afford one I'd have a Hummer just because I'm young, single, and like the looks a Hummer would get. But I love my CJ, so I'm happy.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 08:18 PM
Addict

one of the funny things is how some people on the board will say they wont wanna spend $20k on a new jeep and bang it up (me included!) and here we are talking about bating on a hummer! personally, i think those hummers are overrated. They have some cool toys on em, but the price they slap on em is nuts. even if yu could find a USED hummer, it aint gonna be cheap, and it aint gonna do ya no good. Hummers are good for hualing troops, guns, and automatic grenade launchers. for wheelin? talked to one of my marine budies this past weekend. He said that if he needed to get someplace he'd take a hummer, if he wanted to WHEEL someplace, cant beat the Jeep! I wouldnt wanna scratch the pretty(gay) yellow paint on the hummer, though it does look a heck of a lot better in camo(the way its supposed to be!)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 08:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ya funny is right. My Superduty (35K)looks 20 years old. I mean I beat the sh1t out of it. Some guys like thier trucks to look pretty while I hav'nt washed mine but a couple of times since buying it in 1999 and it has rocker panel dents on both sides. Personally If I get the hummer it gets a flat tan or drab paint job right off and I weld some checker plate to along the sides up about 8".

Oh and we are helping the economy with our hobby
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 09:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I have actualy went and looked at them because I too awaited their arrival. My opinion is: They weigh a ton (literaly) they are verry tall, and have allot of weight up high without adding a heck of allot of ground clearance, they are still a straight axel. allot of sheet metal to bang up, and they are not cheap. The one I sat in was not as comfortable as my TJ, which really supprised me.

Conclusion I don't like them.
However that is not why I would chose the Rubicon. I had this delima recently about trading in my tj for a rubicon. I decided in favor of my current TJ because It is almost payed for, and I can simply add the improvements insted of paying payments. I figure I owe about 3000 on my tj, for 5000 more I can have exactly what I want with me dooing the work of course, so for 8000 bucks I can practly have a rubicon equivelent that I built.

If I still had to have the hummer, I would find one of the used military looking ones floating around and get all of the advantages of the orignal hummer. I saw one couple months ago for 20000, hard to beat when a new one cost 85000. Just my .02
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 10:00 PM
krazykracker

I would say that because your on a Jeep forum you've already answered your own question.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 10:54 PM
BMB
Veteran

Hummer = Heavy, wide, lumbering, expensive to repair or modify, more complex than a Jeep, and the body is Aluminum.

Jeep = Light, narrow, agile, moderate to repair and modify, less complex than a Hummer, and body is Steel.

I don't completely understand your intentions of what you want to do with either, but I have never seen the Hummer as capable vehicle for trail, rock, and "east coast style" off roading. In the open flatter terrain they seem to be pretty good, but you have to remember they were basically designed to be a troop and weapons carrier and not for more serious off roading. I'm also just too cheap to put 30K into something that will be beat, bent, mudded, rocked and rolled.

If your not in a big hurry to get somewhere or need a fast vehicle why don't you check out some Unimogs?

BMB
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 12:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Unimogs are nice. I drove my buddies 77' 416 and bone stock this truck climbed and flexed over rocks better than anything I've ever seen. As you mentioned though speed is the killer. They are not designed for american highway speeds and the creature conforts are minimal. Yep I think my best bet is the rubi only drawback I can think of is lack of cargo space (for motorcycles, camping gear etc} a carrying capacity (seats 4 right?) which I'm sure a trailer will remedy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode