Ski Carriers? Looking for ideas. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Ski Carriers? Looking for ideas.

Not sure if this has been covered before, I didn't seem to get anything in a search. Ski season's only a couple months away, and with my YJ I'm not exactly going to be able to fit 4 people in and 4 sets of skis or boards, so I was just curious about what other people here do to solve this problem? I know Rosser carries a rack that fits a 2" reciever, but I'm not going to be needing the reciever for towing until waterskiing season starts again in May, so I want to look for another alternative and use the money for a hitch for something else right now.
Thanks,
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 12:49 PM

Re: Ski Carriers? Looking for ideas.

A long time ago, I got a ski rack that bolted onto the spare tire carrier of my CJ. It bolted onto where the wheel mounts and held the ski's vertically. I'm sure it would have worked on a YJ spare as well. Mine came from the Jeep dealer, he gave it to me to make some space in his store room.
Another option is Yakima or Thule racks bolted to your hardtop. They are expensive, but the best way to go in my opinion.
I use Yakima racks on my ZJ to carry my snowboard, canoe, bike, just about everything. They are great to have.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 01:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Do you have a hard top? I would have to assume that if you are skiing then it is cold, and if it is cold you probably have a hard top. The set up that I use is a Thule roof rack that I got off of a totaled plymoth horizen (I got it for free cause the plymoth was mind and the frame broke in half) Then I did some searching around to try to get the thule to bolt to the smooth surface of my top. As it turns out Thule sells channels (6" long Set of 4) that are ment to bolt to the caps of pickups. They worked great for my hard top. The set up work great, the only draw back is that the rack sits about 10" above the top. The only way I can get up that high is to stand on the tire. And with 33's 4in of lift and a rack sticking a foot over the top I can forget about parking under anything or driving through an ATM or fast food. I hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 02:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a ski rack that bolts to the spare tire and holds the skis vertically
worked great for years, I dont daily drive for YJ anymore so I would be
willing to sell it. Give me $50 plus shipping from Pa and I will send it up
to you....are you interested??

Kris
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 02:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not sure which to buy as I am not a skier... however I do live in a "ski town" and can share this...

I can't tell you how many rigs I have seen with the ski racks that either mount to the tire carrier or rear tow hitch.... The ends of the skis are SOOOO close to the ground when they leave a driveway or go over a speedbump. As pricey as skis are, I'd figure out a better way to carry them.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, I think I'm going to try to find a way to mount one on the hardtop, beacuse like vtCJ said, they do look way too close to the gounrd and I've got too much $$ invested in my equipment to go over a pothole on 93 and lose my stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode