5.0 is alive kinda!!!!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

5.0 is alive kinda!!!!!!!!

Well afterI got laid off I started towing which didnt pay good enough to stick with so I decided it was time too put the 5.0 in the old jeep. I started last monday and it fired up today. I think I have the fuel pump relay trigger wire wrong but I will fix that in the morning. I am having a hell of a time getting everything to fit though! I am using a saginaw pump bracket off a ford van so now I cant find a lower radiator hose to fit,and I have to get two new power steering hoses made. The truck bellhousing with external slave doesnt go with mustang headers so I used block huggers, factory starters dont work with block huggers so a powermaster mini starter was used, and so on and so forth. But I think it will be totally worth it to have a jeep that will start by turning the key once (unlike the straight six with a weber carb). Also I was looking at the mounting location for the smog pump and it looks like you could bolt another alternator up what do you guys with 5.0's think?

P.S. I got called back to work and started tuesday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 05:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 5.0 is alive kinda!!!!!!!!

I don't have a 5.0 but I sure would like to congradulat you one not only the jeep firing, but also getting back to work. Not haveing a job is a real bummer. CONGRADS ! let us know how the Jeep comes out.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 06:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

how did you run the fuel system? I'm doing the same conversion on my TJ and I think I might have a fuel delivery problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 07:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

ya, I was looking at the poopie pump and thinking the same thing about an alternator, then I got to thinking, Plug 2 of the ports hook a hose up pput it in water and you have an instant shower!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Doesnt your tj have a an in tank pump! I would almost bet that the factory pump would would feed a stock 5.0. But in my case I ran new line from the factory sending unit up to a 91 mustang fuel filter up to an 88 ford truck with a 302 fuel pump( get one from napa, cheapest and a lifetime warranty) up to the factory mustang hard line at the bottom of the motor. It works good so far. I did find an oil leak on the back of the intake (not enough silicone) that I get to fix tomorrow. I am still having a hard time with the master cylinder. But it sure does run a hell of a lot better and the sound going down the road is kickass!!!!!!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 12:26 AM

For the TJ, the fuel system will be very easy.
Remove your gas tank sending unit from the tank, and install a 93 Mustang 5.0 pump, and sock filter onto the TJ sending unit. It should adapt fairly simple, in fact if you have trouble with this portion of project, you are in for a long difficult swap. In the case of the YJ, its just a matter of cutting the rubber hose, in the install package to fit snuggly in the housing, then using a hose clamp in the middle of the rubber hose to attach the hose to the sending unit frame.
The 5.0 uses Ford spring clip fasteners at several locations along the stainless runners. Pull off the last section of stainless fuel tubing on both the supply and return line at the engine(you will need a Ford special tool that allows you to seperate the sections without damage). Take the sections to an industrial hose or Automotive hose suppl house in your area, and have them double flair the stainless tubing with AN fittings on the outer ends of both lines. Then you can just reinstall the stainless fuel tubing to the existing lines, and run stainless braided hose with AN fitting right up to your modified Ford fuel tubes. Cost will be about $100 if you run braided stainless and annodized fittings through the entire system. The stainless lines will simply onto the hump of the sending unit fittings and can be clamped with a high pressure fuel line clamp. The clamps and even the Ford fuel line tool are available at nearly any auto parts.
I use a Mustang fuel filter along the rail in the gas tank compartment.

A very usefull modification while you are doing this portion of the project, is to make an access panel in the rear bed that will allow easy access to the sending unit cover bolts, and fuel filter. You can mount a small compartment that can house a spare fuel pump in a thick baggy with a little motor oil in it, along with spare clamps and fittings, specialized fuel tools and pump filter sock.. If you or a friend ever need to repair or replace your fuel pump or lines, you will look like the wise old sage when you open up your easy access to the sending unit and are back on the trail in 5 minutes.(buy lifetime warrantied pumps and just replace the bad one return it and put the new replacement into the rotation.
Another good idea for the 5.0 is to install an aftermarket adjustable fuel regulator, it will help you maintain a much more steady low idle. Also make sure to adjust the throttle position sensor to within Fomoco specs.
Good luck.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 09:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes It does have an intank pump, that's what bothers me. I don't think it is enough to feed the hungry 5.0. Also the fuel presure regulator is on top of the tank. I haven't figured out how to get around it yet.

as always any help would be nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode