Trusting your spotter - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 08:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Trusting your spotter

This past Memorial day John Foutz (Jaffer) and I took some Albuquerque guys out to the Rock Garden for a little fun. I was trying to get up a vertical wall I had never managed to make before, but it is a tricky approach with a ledge dropping 3 feet into a wash behind it, with barely room to maneuver. I got a little sideways, had to try to get lined back up, if I dropped a tire over the ledge it would've been upside down time. This video is a good example of having a spotter you trust (Jaffer), check out my tire at one point, only an inch or so still on the ledge. You can hear him telling me to back up just a little bit more. But its cool when you have someone spotting you that knows you and your vehicle:
<a target="_blank" href=http://home.off-road.com/~rockgarden/images/spotter.WMV>home.off-road.com/~rockgarden/images/spotter.WMV</a>
(Thanks to the guys from Albuquerque for the video.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 11:09 PM
Old Hand

Re: Trusting your spotter

NIce work spotter!

Someone who always wheels with you.. in your rig or their own as long as you guys know each others rigs and trust each other makes a great spotter... well they have to know about wheeling too..

From the video the drop didn't look more than maybe 1 foot...

Could you not continue forward/up? It didn't look unpassible maybe another video shot ?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 08:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The video is deceiving as far as the drop. As you got closer to the wall it got higher, where my tire was on the closeup it was near 3 ft, over where John was standing it was much lower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 12:31 PM
I Do This For The Glory

A good spotter is hard to find, and up here everyone thinks they're a good spotter, so everyone likes to be "the Boss". I have yelled at the crowd more than once to shut up, and designate my own spotter, usually someone I trust with a lot of knowledge. Unfortunately someone competent isn't always available, and that's when things happen. Good job Jaffer.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2002, 05:12 PM

JEEPIN: "A good spotter is hard to find"
AMEN!
Brad was adamant a long time ago about not wanting to compete in his rig.
But when I asked him to spot for me at the NM Pro-Rock Champs he eagarly agreed.
We've wheel together quite a bit and know our rigs and terrain so we naturally can spot one another fairly well.
I wasn't going to go to the UT Pro-Rock Champs next week but I was offered a paid entry into it for half price so I couldn't resist ... since I wanted to go anyway [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img].
I worried I wouldn't be able to get a spotter and would have to beg to the crowd for one there in Cedar City but was extremely happy that Brad accepted the job again.
I'm gonna have to be extra nice to him from now on ... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
So, if anyone here is going to Utah next week be sure come over and to say "Hi".

Ready for our first Pro-Rock go-around at the Rock Garden ...

It was a long two daze ... especially after I rammed a ledge and bent my tie rod [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img].

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode