Title and vin change - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
pig

Title and vin change

Im sure no one has ever thought of this, but how illegal is it to turn my 84 CJ7 into a 68 CJ5 I have a title and tag from PA. I live in Ohio I have to take it in for an inspection to transfer an out of state title Im guessing they wont know how to tell a CJ7 from aCJ5 Ive changed every thing but the body and frame Im pretty sure it wont pass the emmisions test. what say you Jeep heads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 07:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Title and vin change

Its been done and people have passed. Just hope you dont find an inspector that is a jeep nut, or you are screwed, but then again if he is a jeep nut he might turn a blind eye.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 07:42 PM

It's illegal. Take your chances...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 08:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

When rebuilding my CJ-7, I needed a new body AND frame so I was contemplating getting a Scrambler tub and frame and just having a Scrambler with a CJ-7 vin and title. I replaced the same amount of stuff but just didn't feel right misrepresenting what the vehicle looked like. OK, maybee I was a wus to go the fairly legal route (still don't know how legal it was to put my vin tag on a new 'glass body) but in hindsight I should have done the Scrambler thing. Just go for it and claim it was someone else that did it if they ask.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 10:13 PM
Official Historian

And put a CJ7 plate above the tail light.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 12:33 AM

I've thought about building a jeep from scratch...either a flatfender or another CJ5. I know of several jeeps that are basket cases with good VIN's and titles. I was thinking about ordering a frame and body and drivetrain and building a nice machine and then registering it with the VIN off one of the older ones....maybe use the steering wheel or something for continuity *grin*. One hand it is a new vehicle, and should be subject to emissions and such--hence the use of the old VIN. On the other hand, if you change out your body 'cause it is rusted, and your frame 'cause it cracked, and upgrade to D44 front and D60 rear or some such, there isn't much of the original jeep left, so isn't it the same thing?

My guess for you is you might get away with it....especially if the VIN is for a CJ5 and you bring in a CJ5. Using the older CJ5 VIN on a CJ7 would be more likely to cause a raised eyebrow or two.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 06:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

check out what the requirements are to register it as a street rod.
I know here in Maryland the requirement is it has to be severly altered or modified.
We have a guy in the club that runs a buggy, titled as a 67 VW, now the only thing VW about it is the transaxle from micro bus and a 60's-70' motor.
Now the only problem with doing something like that here is your not supposed to drive it daily. Only to and from shows/events and occasional driving.
You define occasional.
I found this on the Ohio BMV site,
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.epa.state.oh.us/dapc/mobile.html>http://www.epa.state.oh.us/dapc/mobile.html</a>
Now I did not find anything about registration, but if you look under salvaged or self-assembled vehicles they make refernce to it. So it does look like it would be legal if you titled it as a salvage vehicle.

Oh well by 2 cents worth of info.

John
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 07:05 AM
Can't Get Enough

If it looks like a duck(CJ-7 for a -5, I don't think so), smells like a duck, acts like a duck.....Transfer the vin plates to where they belong. Question...What do autobody shops do with the vin plate when a grill is smashed and they replace it? It used to be that only they had access to the special serrated head rivets that held the plate on but I don't think that is even done anymore. Probably the rivets became more available because of shade tree mechanics restoring their own cars? The rivets in my -7 were rusty so I just drilled them out and used stainless steel screws, hehe. When I registered my Jeep from PA to NJ nobody looked under the hood even at the safety/emmisions inspection. Now this might be from the fact that 1980 and older cars only got an idle tail pipe check and they weren't concerned about anything under there. Again if it looks like a duck.....What I mean is to have everything where it is supposed to be in case anybody wants to look. What the government wants to know is if you are doing this with stolen cars to try and make them look legal. Can you tell the difference between a 1976 and 1986 CJ-7 just from looking at them?? All this is the result of the appearance of Jeeps not changing much over the years combined with the fact that there is a grass roots love for this vehicle and people are making and selling major replacement parts(bodys and frames) for them. The only other vehicle I can think of that comes close is the VW Beetle. But they changed slightly each year and they had no frame per se.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 07:24 AM
M38

http://www.broadwaytitle.com/

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 08:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

M38,
Have you gotten a title through them before? I just called for an application package, because i need a title for my 73 Commando. Do they issue you the title as an alabama title, or will they get me the title for Florida, the state I live in? Alabama is the state broadway title is located at.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode