Semi-OT, PLEASE READ: The SWB Forum basics - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

View Poll Results: Should there be a sticky post directed towards new members, in the hopes of educating them on the pr
Yes. It's a great way to introduce new members to the board and point them in the right direction. 73 92.41%
No, I don't think it would be beneficial. I'd prefer to ask them every time to fill out their profile, do a search, or take the CAPS LOCK KEY OFF. 6 7.59%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Semi-OT, PLEASE READ: The SWB Forum basics

Maybe in the sticky post also answer FAQ that are asked on this board specifically. To include safety, common modification questions, and items to have when driving a Jeep (ex. cell phone and enough spare parts to build another Jeep if driving a CJ)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 03:39 PM

knifeboy, that's something I kinda want to stay away from unless absolutely necessary. You're talking about dozens of frequently covered subjects which can each pertain to a specific model - hundreds of topics in all. This would be better off for the SWB FAQ project.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 03:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

An FAQ would be a great thing but an extrememly hard document to form - but if it was done it would need sorting into sections and some heavy work.

I do searches for everything and find SO much info i can't sort it all or read it all !

g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 03:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

IMO, here's all we need:

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 04:02 PM

iexplorer, you're right. It's too much work and information to put into a post. There has been one started, you can check it out at www.shortwheelbase.com

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Good call on the fact that there are just too many questions out there to try and answer all at once. LEVE is good at welcoming new members to the board and I'm sure he can create a good generic welcome quote. I'm sure it'll include "Please fill out your profile", but maybe it should also contain "Don't get discouraged". I know that helped pull me through. But I still think its a great idea.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 04:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thats alll very nice... but its NO resource... theres nothing there !!

With the sheer volume of info flying through here... we could very easily crank out a huge faq...

I never said FAQ post... i say FAQ whole section... sectioned off into models... and items... of course... supplimented with PDF's and a load of info... im keen to contribute... and the manuals project thats famed ... is coming along fine... but the files are HUGE... tough... thats what you get !!

The PDF's are also totally searchable !! so hold on lads...

g
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 04:15 PM

Semi-OT, PLEASE READ: The SWB Forum basics

I have noticed lately that our board is seeing the introductions of quite a few new members. I've also noticed that not many of them take a few minutes to fill out their profile and take the time to perform a search before posting questions. I've talked with LEVE on this one, and he suggested that I run a poll to get opinions. He's also volunteered to make the post sticky for a few days so we can try to get everyone's input on this.

My idea was to have a post that is permanently sticky, directed at all new members that contains some basic information about the board, how to fill out their profile, proper etiquette and posting procedures. In no way would this post be derrogatory to new members, in fact I think it would encourage them to find out as much as they can and use this board as a learning tool, like the rest of us do.

I understand that not all new members will take the time to read the sticky post, I think that it can only do good to those who choose to read it. It can also be a place to show to new members who haven't read it yet.

The topics I've come up with so far include:

1.) How to fill out your profile and why it's important.
2.) The importance of perfoming a search so that often covered topics that have been beaten to death don't pop up so much.
3.) How to do such a search.
4.) A link to the ORC FAQ, as well as to www.shortwheelbase.com
5.) Proper netiquette, such as language and the CAPS LOCK KEY.

Other ideas are appreciated, so please post a reply directly to me or PM me, so that everyone's ideas can be included if the majority agree that this is a good thing to do.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 04:15 PM

I think that a sticky with some rules would be a good thing. Kinda like what POR have on their site. It most definitely should have an explinaiton on how to search. That alone would save some newbies alot of time and aggrivation.

Ken
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 04:31 PM

Better look again - http://www.shortwheelbase.com/faq/fom.cgi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode