Alarm Systems for TJs? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 01:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Alarm Systems for TJs?

Does anyone have any input as far as proximity alarms for jeeps. I've had nmy jeep broken into three times now and it's getting old. Does anyone have an alarm they're really pleased with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 01:32 PM
Addict

Re: Alarm Systems for TJs?

Broken into? you mean you actually lock your door? The best defense is to leave nothing valuable in it and detach your stereo face (better yet get a secure center console for the radio and short term(few hours) storage). locking the door promotes slashing of the tops, especially if you have a full steel door.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 01:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The last time I had the windows slashed the doors WERE unlocked. They have yet to take anything valuble because I don't keep anything in ti of value
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 01:43 PM
Addict

well, the guy we brought the YJ from had a proximity alarm on it, but it was a silent alarm that paged ya. thats not gonna do much good to prevent a slashing. I dont know if ANY type of alarm can stop that, cause the action itself can be done pretty quick without really penetrating the Jeep's space
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 02:11 PM

Proximity alarm? My .40 S&W is good for about 50 yards.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 02:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'll answer part of your question since nobody else has actually helped you out in that matter. I have a "code" alarm on my 97 TJ. When I got the alarm I asked the guy about the proximity setup. He had said that they are a pain cause they are always going off without reasons. I have heard this from a bunch of people who had jeeps with soft tops.

I have another friend who did have one in his car and it worked pretty well. He was able to take his t-tops off and if you put your hand anywhere inside, it set the alarm off.

My code alarm has the soft touch feature which will chirp if its bumped or tapped. I really liked this feature.

As far as the pager goes, That will only do you some good if your within the distance that it works and if you think you could run outside before they leave. Its more of a toy than anything else. However my brother has an alarm on his truck that has auto start, and a bunch of other features. It comes with a keypad which vibrates when something happens. Its pretty neat.

I suggest that you put the red led very high so people can see it blinking. Thats what I did and I have never had any problems. However, I never left anything in the jeep to get stolen.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 02:59 PM
Veteran

M-18A1 CLAYMORE MINE

just remember which side goes out, otherwise could leave some serious body damage

.40 S&W works too as long as you're in the area :-)

when my old 95 got "broken" into i set an old axle shaft on my balcony and propped it up with an old sleeping bag, pointed it towards the windshield, put one of those laser pointers ($5 @ wallymart) on the side of it with some 100 mile an hour tape and left a note on the dash "if you can read this you should know that there is a high powered rifle pointed at your grape, i highly recommend that you get out of my jeep, if you really need something that bad, come up to apt 302 and i'll be glad to help you out after i kick your [censored], btw i work at quantico and yes, i am a sniper, have a nice day :-) "

several other vehicles were still broken into after that, but they never returned for my stereo :-)

-web
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 03:05 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Ah the claymore. As long as you can read "This Side Towards Enemy" you should be set, but then you've got to worry about running the wire to wherever you are and got your hand on the clacker. And you'll still do major body damage to your Jeep even if you have it pointed the right way. Backblasts can be a bitch. Now a flamethrower on the other hand may work. Rig up the electric ignition to the door opening and your all set. Just don't forget when you have it on or you'll have a char dog and some roasted nuts.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 03:11 PM

Funny that you should mention 'Flame thrower'..

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9812/11/flame.thrower.car/>http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9812/11/flame.thrower.car/</a>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 03:21 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Thats exactly where I got the idea from. I've seen video footage of it and it looks brutal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode