Tranny ID help - AMC Concord - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 07:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tranny ID help - AMC Concord

I'm not having any luck finding a TF999 in Florida. But I did find a 1980 AMC Concord for $100 with a 258. Did these have the 999 behind them? Did they make a 4X4 Concord?

If it's 2wd, what would need to be done to make it work with a D300? Would the tail housing from a 727 fit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 07:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Tranny ID help - AMC Concord

im going by memory here so hopefully someone else chimes in. I belive the concord used the 904. But with it have the 258 in front of it it may be the 999. I think its time to ask leve how to change it over to 4wd and how to make sure it is a 999.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 08:54 AM
Way Outta Control

1. It's a TF904, they were used on '78 - '83 6 cylinder models, the 8 cylinder models used the TF727....
2. You should be able to adapt a Tail Housing from a TF999, not sure about the TF727.
3. At that expense, IMHO, you're better off:
a. Having a TF999 shipped in.
b. Rebuild the TF999, if you've got one now... it can be done in about 12 hours.
4. Remember <a target="_blank" href=http://tellico.off-road.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=offroadjeepshort&a mp;Number=869343&amp;Search=true&amp;Forum=offroad jeepshort&amp;Words=TF999&amp;Match=Entire%20Phras e&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=3weeks&amp ;Main=869343>THIS POST?</a> The shipping would be less than the cost of converison and you'd have a TF999.
4. Yep, the Concord could have had 4X4.
5. What about later model XJ's? They have the TF999
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 05:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The 4x4 Concord was the Eagle.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 08:55 PM
Enthusiast

Leve is pretty much right on with his appraisal. For informational purposes: the 904/999 and727 are the same length! Didn't beleive it or would have ever expected it to be so. They will interchange in the YJ and the brackets for the Xfer shifter are in the same place. The tranny linkage is the same and the cooler lines. The kicker is the spline count on the transfer. I have both and I THINK? they are both 23 splines. Someone may be able to verify this. If you have yours out-check it. The 727 from a waggy should be fairly easy to find. The front shaft would be on the same side so you could use the waggy transfer also. They also have the yoke bolted to the transfer. The rear driveshaft might be a problem though. OK everybody, chime in and let's get it going.

Jackie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode