dana 44 front in a CJ questions? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

dana 44 front in a CJ questions?

dana 44 front in a CJ questions?

I would like to find a dana 44 to run in the front of my CJ , I think I want to run it full width with a model 20 HD out of a 80 cherokee that I have. Can I find this axle with a 3.54 gear ratio. Is this axle avilable with disc breaks? Where should I look for it? How much should I expect to pay?

Does anyone have a picture of a CJ5 with these width axles underneath it.

Also I hear that the model 20 HD comes with 1 piece shafts will these be strong enough for me? (in the future: V8, 33s, few rocks lots of mud)

If not does any one make a 1piece shaft kit for this width 20?

Also is their any way that I can convert these axles to the 5 lug pattern that my CJ wheels have, I am on a tight budget.

Thanks
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 10:33 PM
BMF

Re: dana 44 front in a CJ questions?

In the front of my CJ I run a 78 wagoneer 44. I has been changed to a 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern with the use of ford bronco parts. I believe there is a write up on how to do this on the short wheelbase site, or at least a link to one. I've only known one person with a amc 20HD. It seemed pretty stout. I believe there are several people here that swapped them in with good results. I don't see any problems with you doing the same if you're only going 33's.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

what about could the rear AMC be changed to a 5 on 5.5 pattern?

What about disc breaks do any 44 come stock with them?

Thanks
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 05:25 AM

Dodge also used D44s with 5X5.5 lugs. Mine came from an '84 Ramcharger. 3.54 is a pretty common ratio. You should have no problem finding it. I don't think that AMC produced a 20HD with 5X5.5 or disks, but could very well be wrong on that. 20HDs do have 1-piece axels.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 06:27 AM

I think youll find its probably cheaper to leave them 6 lugs and buy new wheels, that is unless you just happen to have the various ford/chevy recipe of spindles/bearings/hubs hanging around.

also wags after 1975 had disk front brakes, youll make it retty hard on yourself to find both axles with 3.54 gear ratio UNLESS you get them both from teh same vehicle.

might be easier to find what you find cheap then regear how ever you want, 3.54 gears arent great for much offroading anyway

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

I know 3.54 are not great but I have the 20HD already and it has 3.54s, I would like to just do the swap know and regear when I can afford it.

What about stearing, I hear some have flat top knuckles and some dont, I think I want to stick with SUA, so what would be prefferable for me with disc breaks(vehicle and year) ???

Also did they make a narrow and wide track versions, the 20 HD is out of an 80 cherokee (360 & auto tranny), anything I need to be aware of about this?

Will the 44 bolt right up if I move the spring perches, or do I need to outboard the spring? What is involved with this, will the drive line bolt up? what about break lines?

Anything else you can tell me would be great, thanks for all the help.

Tony

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 08:11 PM

youll have to move your front springs outside of the frame rails, do a search for [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]utboard: and you should get some ideas of whats involved, My self and others have posted pics of our outboard mountings several times.

the rear hd20 might have come from a wide trafck cherokee, if soo itll be REALLY wide in a CJ.

the front axle you want is from a 1976 Wagoneer, it has flat top knuckles ( in case you ever want to go hi steer) it has disk brakes, and its a good wodth for a CJ, wider than stock, but not WAY WIDE.

steering will be all custom OR you can adapt the factory waggoneer setup to teh CJ box.

it isnt a bolt in affair, but it should be pretty straight forward.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Is 76 the only year I should be looking for, or 76 on? Does this year come with a 3.54 gear ratio? What should I expect to pay for this axle?

Thanks
Tony
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 02:31 AM

I'm not positive but I think 75-77 have flat tops.I just bought an axle out of a 75 complete including steering box for $100,it has the double flat tops.There are no holes in these so they will have to be milled and drilled.I also picked up a 78 J-20 it has a flat top on the passenger side so I could take a Chevy driver side knuckle to make that double flat top.
I don't know what ratio the axles are seeing I'll probably will be regearing them to 4.56 before I put them in.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

btt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode