2002 TJ, seized bearing, !!UPDATE!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

2002 TJ, seized bearing, !!UPDATE!!

Well, some may remember a few months back that I was complaining about a rattle in my tranny on the 02 TJ. The mechanic dismissed it as a bearing and that the rattle (which he made no effort to listen to) was normal.

So I rode on it. I got some recall work done and had my tires rotated two weeks ago and thought I felt a misbalanced wheel, so I took it back today. Well, the tranny was rattling when I got there, so instead of telling them the problem and waiting, I dragged the service rep over to hear it.

Two hours later, my tires are fine, the throw-out bearing is supposedly "going" and may sieze. The "tranny guy" said that the bearing, if it seizes will lock the tranny in gear and the Jeep "cannot be stopped" (good image). Since I have had this actually happen in the CJ, I pointed out that you could just kill the engine.

Anyway, I left riding in a Jeep Liberty loaner until tomorrow while they fix my throw-out bearing.

My question is thus: Why would the throw-out bearing be spinning when the clutch is engaged? I thought that a throw-out bearing only spun when in contact with the clutch levers.

Also, I DON'T like the Liberty, it rides "tipsy" and I feel like a monster in it (6'3")!!! And the back window! My monitor is bigger!

Fritz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 08:43 PM

Re: 2002 TJ, seized bearing, and driving a Liberty

sounds like they are guessing and want time to check it out a throwout bearing cant lock up your tranny but if it siezes it might make shifting with the clutch an entertaining adventure
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 09:10 AM

Hey for warranty work is your jeep stock? the reason I ask is that on my 2002 I think the rear axle bearings are going cause they are loose and yes I tightened the four retainer bolts. but I have 33's on the jeep and dont know if they will touch it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, mine's BONE STOCK! I have all my playmoney tied up in the CJ right now. From what I can see, it depends a lot on the dealer's attitude. The dealer I'm working with has so far impressed me with their customer service.

I'd say to take it in and let them decide.
Fritz
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 12:39 PM
Veteran

that's why i dont trust most mechanics.... a throwout bearing will not affect the tranny, just the clutch, and it's not like it's that hard to pop a manual tranny out of gear

and lumpy, borrow some 30's from a friend to put on when you take it in tho get the work done.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got the TJ back today and there was NO charge for anything! The Liberty rental was free (even thiough my warrenty did NOT cover it).

The rattle is still there and according to the work order, they replaced my throw-out bearing. I figured that wasn't the noise. Unfortunatly, the noise isn't apparant until its been running for a while, so I didn't notice it until I was home tonight. I think its the input shaft...any clues?

Elusive poited out on my last posting that his TJ rattles as well, but I still have trouble understanding this. If there is noise, there is friction. If there is friction, there is heat and then damage potential. How is this "okay"?

Anyway, the customer service was great, but the actual service did not meet expectations. The tranny hump wasn't reassembled correctly, so I had to fix it myself. I will be calling them again Monday after I get back from NC.

Fritz

Oh yeah, put some original tires on it and get it fixed.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 09:19 PM

I think I said it in your earlier post but like Elusive said that noise in the NV3550 is common/normal. Just something about that tranny that makes noise. I know its hard to comprehend but its just something that most have to live with. I've heard of folks having it fixed and the noise lessened a great deal but for the most part the noise will always be there. My AX-15 doesn't make noise but I'd trade it for a NV3550 in a heartbeat. I don't think my tranny has held up well although its still kickin. NV4500 one day.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 07:44 AM

how many miles are on it?

have you (or someone else) changed the fluid lately?

it sounds like the fluid make be "broke-down" and after it heats up, it isn't providing the film strenght that it should.

what fluid do those trannies use? if it hasn't been done, i'd change the fluid with a high-quality synthetic (Red-line) and see if that makes a difference.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Started rattling at 11 miles! Its got 9000 miles now.

Its a gear box. My T18a rattled too, but its also over 24 years old.

Fritz
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 08:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Fritz,
Could it possibly be the pilot bushing? Nobody has mentioned that. If it is a bearing instead of brass, couldnt it maybe be a little big for the shaft and possibly be a problem? Maybe when it gets hot it expands and the input shaft fits in it loosly, and when it cools down, maybe it snugs down.
Just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode