what to get? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 07:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what to get?

Ok as u may or may not know i'm just getting started in the off road world. I'm looking to buy a used jeep. I don't wana spend more than $5,000. I wana be able to mod the jeep, like lift it and stuff. Whats a good jeep, i hear of CJ5s....but who makes thouse? I'm looking at wranglers. But i'm open for ideas. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 08:31 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: what to get?

Do you mean who makes a CJ-5? Because of course that is Jeep. They were made for about 30 years up until 1983 I think, but I know someone will correct me. There are a lot of old Jeeps out there. A term you will hear a lot is CJ. CJ's are the older style Jeep and come in 2's through 8's. Do a search online and you can learn the differences. After the CJ was the YJ also known as the Wrangler. Then came the TJ which is what you will mostly see on the road now. Shop around and it shouldn't be too hard to find a good Jeep in your price range. Remember when you find a Jeep you like to add in the cost of gas and insurance. You may want to call some insurance companies before you purchase anything to get a quote. Also remember that once you get it you will want to do so many things to it that the list will go on and on and can potentially ruin your social life. Tip #1: Don't constantly talk about your new purchase every waking moment of the day with your friends, it'll drive them nuts and they just won't get what the big deal is.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 12:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yea i know what you mean not to talk about that kind of stuff with friends not into off roading. I picked up 2 magz last night...don't recall the names but i was looking at all the lift kits and stuff. They had lift kits for all the older years in jeeps...why don't they have ones for the new ones? I just can't make my mind up! lol. I wouldn't mind getting an older jeep. They all look pretty much the same to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 01:52 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

There is a way to lift any Jeep out there. Are you sure there were no ads for lift kits for newer Jeeps? I am looking at Jp and 4 Wheel Drive magazines right now and there are plenty of ads for lift kits for TJ's. Remember, TJ's are the new style short wheelbase Jeeps. They do all have similar traits, but are pretty easy to tell apart once you learn the basic body differences. Usually the grill will give away if it is a TJ, YJ, or CJ. To learn the different styles of CJ's I look at the shape of the door and the length of the bed. You obviously can't afford a new TJ, and it'll be real hard to find a used TJ under 5 grand that you will be willing to take. CJ's are my personal favorite. There is no limit to what you can do with one or any other Jeep for that matter. So take your time, find something you like the looks of and the way it drives and then worry about everything else. It'll all fall into place.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 02:18 PM
BMB
Veteran

Just a suggestion, but go to a local bookstore and see if they have a copy of The Jeep Owners Bible(by Moses Luddell) and get it. It will give you good general info about Jeeps and basic maintenance and modifications. Then come back here and ask questions.

Since you said you are just starting out, I would keep things simple and build as you grow in your abilities.

Also, when you do get a Jeep make sure you fix anything that is wrong with it before doing any modifications. LEVE has posted list of guidelines on this, see if you can find it.

BMB

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 03:46 PM

Dude you gots a lot to learn. Definetally pick up a couple jeep books and start reading.

Here's the deatails about the different jeep designations (not 100% accurate i'm sure)

MB/ MA early military jeeps made by willys
CJ2a
cj3a
cj3b
cj5 (produced from 55-83 made by willys, kaiser, and amc)
cj6 (produced from around 55-74) it's a cj5 but with 20" added to the middle of the tub and wheel base
cj7 produced by amc '76-86
YJ Wrangler produced from '87-95
TJ Wrangler produced for '97-current
XJ Cherokee produced from '84-01
MJ Comanchee pick up version of the cherokee produced till '91
ZJ grand cherokee made from '93?-98?
WJ current grand cherokee
KJ Liberty

If i were you i'd pick up a '91-'95 YJ with the 4.0 engine and 5 speed or auto (depending on what you prefer). I'd say they are the best build up buys, they are getting harder to find in some parts though are still plentiful and have strong frames, bodys that arn't completely rusted out yet, 4.0 is a kicking motor that's fuel injected and ax15 5 speed or tf999 auto are pretty decent trannies. The earlier cj's are nice though they have major rust and frame streangth issues and the early yj's and '76-86 cj's have the carbed 258, 2.5L or 304 v8's that are ok but the fuel injected 4.0 is much nicer and having fuel injection makes wheeling on angles and non issues, the '87-90 yj's also have the pouget 5 speed which is a good boat anchor though it sucks as a tranny and they blow up weekly. That's my point of view i'm sure others will have different views. Defientally ask a ton of questions on this board. I'd post info about possible rigs on this board and have the guys tell you what they think about it (you might not always like what they say though it's usually good advice). One more thing about buying a 4x4 or jeep is stay away form ones that have been wheeled and modified. I know i wouldn't want to buy a jeep that was wheeled like i wheel my jeep. I push it hard every time i go out and put a ton of stress on it. I would stay away from anything that's been modified or lifted. Some people have bought lifted and modified trucks and have had no problems but that's not usually the case. Usually these trucks are being sold for a reason. I also like to know what parts are on my rig and if you buy a rig with a swaped in engine or custom something you have no clue what was done to it, how it was done (could be real poor craftsmanship), what parts were used (could be the cheepest and worst parts known to man) or what to order parts for when you have to fix it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 06:08 PM

No offense but you need to educate yourself. Try this link http://members.tripod.com/HoboJeepers/jeepo.htm they have a HUGE list of links that you could spend about 3 days reading and learning everything there is to know about Jeeps. This will answer many of the questions you may have.
Happy reading.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 08:48 PM

Sorry i was just trying to give him a crash course off the top of my head.

Barrelroll
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 08:57 PM

I didn't mean that towards you, sorry if you thought that. My apologies.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 11:15 PM

Use $3000 for a CJ7 with solid frame and repairable steel body. Put the other $2000 into tools, a welder, and a factory service manual. In the end you'll have the best (and coolest) $5000 vehicle you've ever owned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode