Help with my SOA list Please - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 12:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Help with my SOA list Please

Hi all I have been reading on here for a few months now and am conviced that SOA is the way to go and the D30 & 35 have to go.

Here is what I have come up with for gettign this SOA together:

Ford 8.8 rear w/discs
Waggy D44 w/ Chev. Flat top knuckles and various ford & Chevy components for high steer setup.
RE SOA kit
RE 1.5" SOA leaf springs
More 8.8 perches(for the rear and the D35 perches should work on the 44 right?)
Wheels and tires (planning on 35's on 16" wheels)
SYE & CV drive shaft.(Will I need to replace the front DS as well?)

Whatever I am missing if you could fill me in as to what I need so I can have all the parts together before tearing into it I would appreciate it. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 01:01 PM
Official Historian

Re: Help with my SOA list Please

The 70's waggy dana 44's also came with flat top knuckles but the diff is on the wrong side for you. Just another source for knuckles.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 01:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Sounds like you have put a lot of research together, and you have a good game plan. I don't know a lot about SOA but I thought I would throw my opinion in on your wheel tire combo. Why not stick with 15in wheels. They are a lot cheaper. Tires for them are a LOT cheaper. And with the 15in Rim you get that extra rubber between the rim and the trail. With a 16in rim your tires are going to have a lower profile, that is not always the best thing when traviling off road. Just a thought,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 01:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I really didn't have a reason behind the 16" wheels other than that I have read they ride better onthe road. Yeah yeah, I know nobody in there right mind would buy a jeep for the ride quality.

But you do have a very good point. Money talks so I will probably go with the 15's unless I see something to convice me otherwise.
Thanks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 01:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Will, I thought I read somewhere that the Chev. knucles ahd a larger mating surface for the high steer arms. Plus I fiured the chev. ones would be easier to find.

Is that true about the flat tops on them or was that just bs that I read?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 02:56 PM

I havent seen any differnce in Jeep vs Chevy knuckles, as long as they are both flat tops.

the chevys probably are easier to find, BUT in case you come across a cheap wag 1976 front axle you know you can use those also
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 03:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

tires are cheaper and there are more tire choices for the 15" rims..
the 8.8 is 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern, the waggie is a 6 lug, and if you use ford partas to convert it, it becomes a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern..
really... jusy get a 60 rear for $200 and make the front 8 lug. then order 8 lug 15" rims. that way you'll be 3/4 ton....
Chevy front axles are on the wrong side for a yj.... and if I'm swapping in a 44, it's going to be high-pinion, reverse cut gears for strength and driveshaft angles. this all means you need a ford front axle... the 77-83 F-250 would be perfect for you... high pinion, reverse cut, solid axle and 8 lug pattern.. the only downfall is then you would have to use 16" rims to clear the dual piston calipers... the ford axles i'm referring to also have flat top knuckles.... I have a 77 f-250 with one here.. if it wasnt a nice truck... it would have made a donor long ago...
does the SOA kit come with brake lines, shocks, axle shock mounts, etc???
dont forget you'll have to fab up of buy an anti-wrap bar. this is a necessity.
the coolest thing about 8 lub... when you find a 60 front... theres little to change...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 04:22 PM

Do you have an sye? if not you probably would need one or would want to swap a dana 300 into your jeep so you would get a fixed out put and a pass side drop to run older waggy or chevy axles. The RE soa kit includes some things though you can probably price it together for much less. Most likely you arn't going to run sway bars or track bars so the only real things you can use out of it would be the shocks and brake lines since the d44 and 8.8 have different sized tubes and need different sized u-bolts.

BarrelRoll
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 04:50 PM
Old Hand

You say no track-bars... others say you HAVE to run track-bars with leaf spring setups..

I posted yesterday got no replys.. about cons/pros about runing the stock front track-bar..

Anyone care to help answer???
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 05:33 PM
Can't Get Enough

You will probably have to go with a larger master cylinder due to the calipers having a larger piston and the wheel cylinder bore being bigger. A good reference for custom brake systems is posted at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.paradise.raleigh.nc.us/gallery/brakesystems>http://www.paradise.raleigh.nc.us/gallery/brakesystems</a> . It is worth reading especially the brake math page. If you run the formulas you will see what I am talking about. I swapped in a Dana 44 (high steer with j-truck calipers) and a Ford 8.8 (both full width) and ended up doing the S-10 dual diaphram booster upgrade and using a master cylinder from a full size Chevy 4X4. Awesome brake combo.
As a side note, I am not sure about Waggy calipers, but the j-truck calipers use the same size (but different thread pitch) banjo bolts as a YJ, so YJ brake lines will work.
Also some flat top Dana 44 knuckles have the tie rod end that goes in from the bottom (don't recall what they are on) instead of going in from the top. Something to double check if you are ordering a high steer knuckle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode