Suggestions for a custom built snorkel - 94 YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 12:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Suggestions for a custom built snorkel - 94 YJ

I have a '94 YJ with a 4 cyl. engine. I want to build a snorkel that draws air from the engine compartment. I do not want to buy an ARB snorkel or any other brand. But, I have many questions. What type of material can I use to build it? Is PVC ok? Also what size should I use. The route I am thinking about will be approximately 7ft long with 4, 45 degree angles and 1 90 degree angle and then attch into the factory air box. Will this many turns slow air flow to much or do ya'll think this will be acceptable? Some of the time the pipe will be connected to the body and other times it will be connected to the frame; therefore I will need something to prevent vibration. Any ideas on materials for this? Will those rubber connector things work, not sure of name, or will they get to hot. The next question is: any ideas on how to connect the round pipe to the frame of the vehicle and to the round roll bars?

Any ideas would be greately appreciated.

Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 12:57 PM
Old Hand

Re: Suggestions for a custom built snorkel - 94 YJ

Hi,

I have a 94 YJ as well, 6cyl however... Just wondering but why do you want 7ft of tubing and still have it tangled around in your engine someplace?

Why not do something similiar to the ARB where it comes out, and goes up to get away form the engine (so mud/water/dirt does not get sucked up)

I think 7ft of tubing would be excess especialy for something "add-on"...

Why not keep the stock setup if your going 7ft?

You can buy those lil kits that are like 1.5ft long and the K&N cone filter sticks on the in... that's another route for staying inside the engine compartment..

7ft with twists, and turns doesn't make much sense to me...

Are you trying to get the intake lower to the ground or something???
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 01:21 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

7 feet of turns is crazy! Why not try getting some flexible air ducting and stick that in there? You can put it anywhere you want since it isn't stiff. What diameter of tubing were you looking at getting? I don't know how crowded your engine compartment is but don't go with anything too small. You can end up suffocating your engine. Just some ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 01:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How much are you really gonig to gain by keeping it in the engine compartment? Maybe 6-8 inches. I am not familiar witht he 4 cylinder layout so maybe I am way off here, bu tin the 6 cylinder engine compartment in my 95 I know I couldn't gain much more than that.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 02:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

before you go and do all that....check out what this guy did <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jeepaholics.com/citizensband/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9341&amp;FORUM_ID=35&amp;CAT_ID =2&amp;Topic_Title=Custom+HOme+Made+Snorkle&amp;Fo rum_Title=Jeep+Technical+Discussions>http://www.jeepaholics.com/citizensband/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9341&amp;FORUM_ID=35&amp;CAT_ID =2&amp;Topic_Title=Custom+HOme+Made+Snorkle&amp;Fo rum_Title=Jeep+Technical+Discussions</a>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 11:34 PM
thejunker

Is this a serious question?

1. How can 7 feet of tube even fit in the engine compartment (unless you are talking about 1/2" tube or something)?

2. If you connect to the body AND to the frame, some of the tube better be a little flexible or have flexible mounts, cuz thats gonna flex (since the engine is attatched to the frame, and the tube is attatched to the engine)

3. Part of the point of a snorkel is to get the air from a source other than the engine compartment (cooler air, cleaner air).

4. ABS or PVC should be fine

5. You can use hose clamps, rubber tiedowns, or gaffer tape to tie stuff to the frame.

6. What is a rollbar doing inside the engine compartment?

I would consider re-thinking your route.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 12:25 AM
Old Hand

I can just see it now... taping your intake to the fenders, 1 minute into the trail you see this thing that looks like an Elephants nose haning out the front of your jeep.. next thing you know your engine starts to make scraping sounds, then goes up in a poof of smoke and dies from sucking up all the dirt off the ground like a vacume.

7Ft of any type of TUBING or PIPE in the engine compartment is not only pointless but may even be worse than the STOCK setup...

Sounds like your better of buying the ARB or some other pre-made one.... Unles your friends WANT to tow you home..

;-) :-)

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 07:05 AM

I did something simalar. Its mounted with hose clamps to the body,which is probably not the best way. Its 3" PVC, with 2 2" reducers to mount the rubber hose from the throttle body and the air filter. A 6" PVC cap is on top of the filter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 880351-P8030008.JPG (79.3 KB, 6 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 02:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

To answer your questions...the 7 ft is a very rough guess. All of this is not inside the engine compartment. The tube will go down under the vehicle and attach to the frame, then run under the vehicle and come up into the passenger compartment. From there it will run up the roll bar and draw air from high inside the passengar compartment.

Daniel
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 02:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: CORRECTION

It will draw air from the passenger compartment...not the engine compartment.

Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode