4 speed vs 5 speed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

4 speed vs 5 speed

I am starting an Engine trans swap into my YJ. Getting rid of the 2.5L and AX-5 in exchange for a 350 ?? trans. I DON'T want an auto. I want a stick, and it seems like if I am going to the trouble of swapping I should upgrade and get the granny low. That leaves me with limited options. 4speeds SM465 SM420 NP435.. OR the beautiful NV4500 5speed. I would love the 4500 but I don't know if I want to drop 2 grand to get one. Anyone out there running a granny low 4speed with any thoughts.
(Jeep will be running D44 front and rear W/33" tires, 36-7 in the future, maybe D60 (future) R&P will probably depend on trans.
Some input would be great, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 4 speed vs 5 speed

Is there no one out there who has a NV4500 or a 4speed that can throw out their opinion, and give some input on how they like their set up?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 03:51 PM
Sully

Depending on what motor you decide to put into the Jeep, you might consider the T18 or T19 trannys. They typically can be found in Jeep, IH, or Ford. Ford ones are easy to come buy and cheap but need an adapter kit with plate and shaft to fit to AMC style engines and transfers.
I have a T19 with a 6.32 first gear and it is low. I didn't have the $$ to get the NV4500. You might also look around at the NV3550 (I don't know if it would hold up to a 350ci engine) - at the time of my swap there weren't enough available in a price range I was willing to pay. If you go with a chevy engine, I think you would be crazy not to go with the SM465 or SM420. Yes, 5th gear would be nice but at 70mph and 32in tires I doubt my 258 would have the juice to pull a .89 ratio 5th gear at ~2500rpms.

Sully 84 CJ7 Laredo 258/Weber/HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 04:29 PM
Official Historian

A clark 5 speed is another option.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 04:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't have this set up but if you go with either the SM465 or the SM420 you won't need a special bellhouseing which will save ya some money although depending on which transfere case you intend to use you may need an adapter.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 05:43 PM

Well, I have an 85 CJ7 with the 258 engine. The stock 5 speed grenaded and I went with a Ford T18. I love the granny low in the T18, but I do miss 5th gear. I didn't go with the 4500 tranny because it wasn't available when I did my swap and I also didn't want to have to get the driveshafts shortened and lengthened. The swap did need an adaptor for the tranny to D300, but I bought a newly rebuilt T18 that came with the adaptor for $1,100, if I remember right. If you want, I will pull the reciept and see where I bought it and how much. Long and the short, I like my T18 and have had no problems at all, and my CJ is my daily driver.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 05:48 PM

I swapped in a Ford T18 behind the stock 258. What an improvement, first gear high range is lower than first gear low range was before. I had a T150 3-speed, so the only adapter that I needed was for the transfer case. No overdrive, but with 33" Swampers and 3:50 gears I don't think an overdrive would be very useful.

Ken
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the input. I have never heard of a clark 5 speed, does anyone have any info on these.
I am pretty set on the GM 350. Because of the parts available and that they are pretty easy to work on. (going to go with a carb) to save money and rid myself of confusing computer issues.
The more time I spend thinking about it the more I realize that I don't have the $$ to get a 4500, and from what I have read they are a real brain teaser to put in.
Does anyone know of a place to get adaptors for the early GM transmitions that will bolt to a NP231J ?

(My project is really starting to come together)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 06:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

sounds like you already know most of the answers....
the clark 5 speed is found in medium duty dump trucks, busses,etc... I know that there are problems bolting them up, but it can be done.. i have never seen one in a jeep.
I have driven the 350/sm465 combo a lot and the 350/t-18 combo, and I have an nv4500 now. I run 5.38 gears in my rig and drive it 5 hors each way to the trail....try that without overdrive....
another option is to run 4.10 gears, a sm465 and (eventually) 4-1 gears in the x-fer case.
nv4500's can be found in junkyards and I believe i could get one into a jeep for about $1200... if you were lucky, or really looking hard... you might be able to conjoin a chevy nv 4500 and a dodge...making something that would bolt to both the 350 and the np231....hope you have some axles to handle it though...
all that said.... i miss my automatic....
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Elusive, thanks for the input. The clark 5 speed sounds like it is a strong trans, but probably even more of a pain to get in a Jeep. So I won't go that way.
I do have a pair of Wag 44s that are going under my Jeep. And I am thinking I will run 4.10's if I have the 4spd. And if I would go with an overdrive I would probably go 4.56
I am really thinking that I am going to go with the 4spd. I see it being MUCH less expencive. And a lot easier. I suposed I will suck it up and give up overdrive. This proposed set up will put me at about 2500-3000RPMs at 65?
Where does the 350 run happy. Is 2500-3000 Too high for extended lengths? Just wondering??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode