BDS 3.5" vs. Black Diamond 3.5" - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

BDS 3.5\" vs. Black Diamond 3.5\"

After looking over all the suspension lift kits I think I have it narrowed down. The two I am looking at now are the:

1)BDS 3.5" lift
2)Black Diamond 3.5" lift

Both look and sound pretty good to me. Good enough so I could run 32x11.50 or maybe 33x12.50's with them. Mainly what I am asking is what else would have to be purchased with one of these kits? I'm hoping you don't need a SYE with these kits. The RE 4.5" extreme duty kit was first choice but would be expensive if I had to buy SYE and Driveshaft. I know I will have to get shocks with those kits but thats not too bad. Also, what about running 32's or 33's with the stock 2.5L and stock gearing? Would the 4 banger be able to handle those tires or would I have to look at new gears? Thats another thing I don't think I could afford right now. Anyways, I would appreciate feedback on those two kits and what extra's you think need to be purchased with them to run safely and reliably on the trail.
thanks
p.s. anyone know who has good prices on those lifts or sell the ring and pinion for new gearing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 10:44 AM
85Jeepny

Re: BDS 3.5\" vs. Black Diamond 3.5\"

It's possible you may have to get a SYE with 3.5" of lift, it would probably be the safest, you'll just have to see if you get vibration or not.

I believe most of the 4 bangers had 4.1xxx gearing
32" tires should be no problem

Just a word of advice.....always budget more money than you expect....and if you think you need something, just get it...it may push the budget now, but it beats having to redo a bunch of stuff later and risk tearing something up...just my humble opinion after having Jeeps around my whole life...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 11:05 AM
Veteran

Re: BDS 3.5\" vs. Black Diamond 3.5\"

the stock gearing and engine will handle 33's, but dont expect to be able to stay in 5th going up any incline while on the road.

-web
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode